Tyson and I are learning more about the earth and the rock cycle. So, so interesting. In an effort to have even more fun, the boys and I took a field trip to Target to get a few experiments.
This started off as a small, half-spherical white stone that felt like chalk. In 12-hours, it looked like this. Crystals are so neat!Just to be sure we got them all...
We also wanted to "grow" rocks...
9-hours later...
After we mined and got the other two experiments started, Tyson and I took another field trip to Zales: The Diamon Store. I could remember a few things about gems, diamonds, and precious metals, so I thought it would be fun for him to see a bunch and talk with a sales assistant. Little did I know that I'd have my mind blown!
*Rubies and Sapphires are the same gems, just different colors!
*They now have LAB-CREATED DIAMONDS!!! Made from... wait for it... DIAMOND SEEDS!! They aren't as expensive as actual, mined diamonds, but they are still more expensive than cubic zirconia. They are classified as true diamonds but have to be engraved with a number to differentiate them from mined diamonds. Their color and clarity are as close to flawless as you can imagine since they are made in a lab.
Tyson: "That was pretty much the neatest field trip I have ever been on." It was definitely memorable for me, too!
No comments:
Post a Comment