The Randy & Stephanie Dirks Family Est~ 2000
~If you think our hands are full, you should see our hearts!~

Monday, April 9, 2018

Old?

I was listening to Jamie tell me of a woman that was very active and was running a half marathon basically every single day to train for other races coming up.  She made the comment that this woman's first marathon was run when she was forty.  I was shocked!  Forty seemed SO OLD to run your first marathon!  And then I remembered, that that will be my age in just three point two five years.  I won't be running any marathons then (my 5K's whenever I choose to run is good enough for me), but forty doesn't seem old at all when I think of myself, and how young I really feel. 

While on a walk around the neighborhood with Brennon, I asked if he'd told his classmates that he went to Las Vegas for Spring Break.  "Yep.  They all looked at me with big eyes when I told them we went to a magic show and the circus (Cirque Du Soleil).  I told them it wasn't that big of a deal."  Feeling exasperated at his obvious disregard for the magnitude of our vacation, I said, "Well, Brennon it is kind of a big deal.  A lot of people want to go to Las Vegas at least once in their lives.  And, remember, I didn't go until I was 36.  You got to go when you were ten."  His step slowed, "I did?!"  I turned on him, wondering if he was joking.  With a sheepish grin, "Oh.  Wait.  I am ten."  And we laughed and laughed.

Apparently, you can forget how old you are even when you're young.

Sometimes I forget my age, needing to subtract 1 from the current year (born in 1981).  Sometimes I forget that forty isn't that old.  Sometimes I don't feel old at all.  Sometimes it feels weird to remember vividly the age of one of my children.  Sometimes it feels like forever when I think Randy and I will have been married for 18 years in June.  Sometimes it feels as if my life didn't really start until he came along.  All I know is that if I could go back to when I was ten and say something to myself, I think it would be, "Your life is going to be beautiful."

No comments:

Post a Comment