The Randy & Stephanie Dirks Family Est~ 2000
~If you think our hands are full, you should see our hearts!~

Friday, June 7, 2019

Fingerprints

Today would have been a big one for him-- Graduation Day!!  We went to his grave to get it looking nice, and got him some yellow (and green) flowers in memory of his Richland High School Bombers.  Not the exact "getting ready" I would like, but the best we can do for the circumstance.  If I do say so myself, he's looking good!  Sure do love and miss my boy!

Because of the difficulty of the day, it's not hard to imagine my emotions, and my anxiety.  I want to run.  Run so hard I pass out and wake up tomorrow, when I know it will not hurt this much.  Instead, I went for a walk and listened to a talk by one of my favorites-- Emily Belle Freeman: Finding God's Fingerprint.  I didn't just listen to it once, but twice.  I listened intently, enjoying the walk I love in the sunshine and slight Spring breeze.  I forgot, for that hour and a half, all about my sorrows as I was filled with the sweet spirit.

The talk was centered around those times where you may not see His hand in your life, but can still look for his fingerprint.  Sometimes you don't see things until you look at what's been left behind.  I plan to have the entire family listen to it tomorrow as we travel to our rock climbing excursion.

While on the walk, I decided to take a bit of a short cut.  Not much, but one that would save me about five minutes.  I didn't think much of it, but looked around to appreciate the houses and landscaping that I usually don't see when I take that other route.  As soon as I walked in the door, I had time to set my phone down before the doorbell rang.  I had just walked in the door!  Standing there, arms full of a potted sunflower, was Amy Johnson.  "I knew today could be a hard day."  And just like that, I saw the hand of the Lord (in the form of a good friend) in my life.  Because I took that short cut, I made it home just in time to receive her beautiful gift and hug!  I am still being carried, still being lifted up by the hands of those around me.  I truly am the luckiest girl in the world!
Megan Kraus, Senior Class Historian and close friend of Caden (he took her on a mini-date in his Bronco for some slingshot practice-- an inside joke they shared from Trek 2017), sent me a text just now: "Hi! I didn't know if you were planning on attending the graduation ceremony, but we have a special moment of silence planned for Caden and a beautiful bouquet that will sit up on the stand in memory of him.  No pressure, just letting you know Caden is in our hearts."

This text was very close to a phone call Randy received last week from Delta High School.  If you'll remember, Caden was accepted to this STEM school when he entered 9th grade four years ago.  Because of the teacher's strike, school didn't start until mid-September 2015.  That left only 4.5 months of attendance before we found that second 2-pound tumor in January 2016 and he went back into intense cancer care.  "We would like your permission to have a special moment of silence for Caden at our graduation ceremony.  Some of his friends would like to honor him, and want you to know they remember."  That boy touched so many lives.  He hadn't been back since 2016, hadn't hung out or contacted any of those friends, yet they remembered him all these years later after only getting to know him for 4.5 months.  He was just that kind of kid!

How grateful I am to have lived in both Casper, Wyoming and Richland, Washington.  The friends we've been surrounded by are truly His Hands here on earth.

CON"GRAD"ULATIONS, CADEN RANDY DIRKS!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment