The Randy & Stephanie Dirks Family Est~ 2000
~If you think our hands are full, you should see our hearts!~

Thursday, September 10, 2020

Perfect Fit

 While down in St. George in June/July, we were able to stop by a friend from Casper's house.  Racquel was one of my best friends while we lived in Bar Nunn, but it felt like we'd been friends for much longer.  While we chatted about anything and everything as if we'd hadn't been apart for 7 years, our husband's talked shop.  Mike ended up giving Randy some of the excess product from their now-closed Wood Creations Dixie shop.  Randy knew just what he wanted to do with them!

I didn't see the wall that was his inspiration, so when we ordered the vinyl from the girl that made us one of our all-time favorite signs (commissioned for us by a friend that was struck by some of Caden's last words, "I won."), I didn't realize that there could be miscommunication.  She'd put a border around the letter-- I thought the border she was showing me on the sample picture was to show us what it would look like on a square block, not the actual border that measured the size we wanted the letter.  As soon as Randy saw the large sheet of letters, he told me he hated it.  We decided to try it out just to be sure.

We couldn't quite tell with just the C that I did, so we tried an entire name.  We placed it up against the wall we wanted it on and walked past it for an entire evening.  Randy said multiple times that he hated it, so in one last-ditch effort before asking the girl to do it again, we decided to take off the border and see if the smaller-than-we-envisioned letter would work.  I was beyond relieved that it totally did, maybe even better than had we gotten what we originally wanted!

You know us, once we get it into our head that we want to do a project, we get right on it.  The kids were heading to bed when I cleared off the kitchen table and we got to work.  You know we can't stop there, simply because it was past our own bedtime, I had to see it all laid out!

You understand us again when you realize that after seeing it all laid out on the ground like this that there was no way we were going to go to bed.  Out come the measuring tape, levels, and command strips.

It was about this point where I got super giddy.  We both knew we were going to LOVE it!!

We didn't get to bed until after Midnight, but only because we sat around and admired our handiwork.  We are so in love.  The couch still needs to be moved to the left to fully center it, and we have a few things we'd like to add to the wall (nothing too much because we both don't want it to become a gallery wall, thus keeping the focus on this), but other than that, this wall turned out exactly how Randy wanted it to.  I love that this was his "baby."

A few Sundays ago, we sat down as a family and put together our own ideas for how we should cross the words.  Paper after paper, we handed in our ideas, giving 1st, 2nd, 3rd placements for our favorites.  We thought we had a clear winner until Brennon brought us his.  We knew the second we saw it that none of the others mattered-- this was the one.  It may have been Randy's idea, but the entire family had a part in it coming together.  It makes it that much more special!


1 comment:

  1. I didn't realize that you guys put the letters on! I thought Raquel did the whole thing. It looks so good on that wall!

    ReplyDelete