Randy had work in North Carolina, so we decided to make a vacation of it and check of SIX STATES in one weekend! As it turns out, it only took us mere hours once we landed!
Randy, coming from Austen, Texas, landed in Atlanta, Georgia just 2-hours before I did. We drove about an hour to stay overnight near South Carolina, getting a bit more of the driving out of the way. The next morning, we drove just 8-miles to check off our Second State-- Georgia being the first.
We hit the western tip of South Carolina and then turned north for our next state. Tennesse and North Carolina came next, with us driving through the Appalachian Mountains. Little known fact: I grew up saying App-a-lay-shun mountains. Locals call them the App-a-latch-ens. We felt so fortunate to have hit the drive during the beauty of Fall. Little did we know, these colors pale in comparison to the Smokey's coming up tomorrow!We then came to the literal road between Tennessee and Virginia to go on a hike where Tennessee, Virginia, and Kentucky meet.Tri-State Park 1.2 miles...
It had some extremely steep climbs. It may have been in the 50's, but we were nice and warm on this hike!
We are standing in three places at once!!!
Five States in just Five hours, Six States in less than 24!!
To split up the rest of the drive, we decided to stay closer to the State Park than to Randy's convention location, so we drove back to North Carolina. While getting ready for bed, Randy jolted. "Steph, I don't remember reserving a hotel room for tomorrow." He hadn't. He quickly found a close Hilton that would allow him to travel to and from the convention in one day. Little did we know it would end up being the BEST MISTAKE YOU COULD EVER IMAGINE!! Instead of heading directly to Cherokee, North Carolina, we headed a bit south towards Gatlinburg, Tennessee. Not only did this allow us to drive through the Smokey Mountains, but we passed a place that we had never heard of, but will take our kids to one day!! Pigeon Forge, Tennessee!!
I had heard the phrase Dollywood, but never really understood what it was. I know now-- it is a Disneyland of the South! But to get there, you drive through Pigeon Forge, which is miles and miles and miles of attractions on both sides of the main road. Ropes course, go-karts, mini-golf, roller coasters, museums, dinner theaters of ALL kinds, and AMAZING architecture!
Just neat! We could not even take it all in!!! Even after driving slowly up and down the same street, we both said we know we didn't catch it all. One day, we'll come back to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee!!!
"Now hiring people that show up" Hilarious but sad at the same time that this is where we are in the world right now.
Just neat! We could not even take it all in!!! Even after driving slowly up and down the same street, we both said we know we didn't catch it all. One day, we'll come back to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee!!!
"Now hiring people that show up" Hilarious but sad at the same time that this is where we are in the world right now.
Once we got through Pigeon Forge, you literally enter Great Smokey Mountain National Forrest.At this exact moment, a breeze picked up and blew leaves all around us, making it feel as if we were being transported into a magical land. The colors of Fall were so vibrant, you almost couldn't look away.
We were in awe as we pulled onto the main street of Gatlinburg. Shops lining either side of the street, cars everywhere, and so many people walking the streets that you almost couldn't see past them to all the shops. It had the feel of another country, another time, another world. Surrounded by the colors and ambiance, it was just undescribable. Our hotel was seconds away from our entrance into the city, which was wonderful to be able to park and get out to walk. We immediately knew we wanted to take the sky ride!
We were in awe as we pulled onto the main street of Gatlinburg. Shops lining either side of the street, cars everywhere, and so many people walking the streets that you almost couldn't see past them to all the shops. It had the feel of another country, another time, another world. Surrounded by the colors and ambiance, it was just undescribable. Our hotel was seconds away from our entrance into the city, which was wonderful to be able to park and get out to walk. We immediately knew we wanted to take the sky ride!
Melting Pot for dinner. It was an experience, but we both agree not worth the money.
We then went to Ripley's Believe It or Not. SO MUCH FUN!!
Favorite exhibit: Hogwart's School of Witchcraft and Wizardry out of MATCHSTICKS!
This one made me laugh...These are made out of dog hair. I laugh because my Dad took some of Mira's hair to make fly fishing flies. The first time he used them, he caught a fish not long after casting it out. Maybe I need to start a dog hair business...We ended off the night at a local ice cream parlor. We decided to share it since they were so big! We got the Snickers flavor which had an entire Snickers Bar shoved in the center. It was definitely worth the 40-minute wait!
This one made me laugh...These are made out of dog hair. I laugh because my Dad took some of Mira's hair to make fly fishing flies. The first time he used them, he caught a fish not long after casting it out. Maybe I need to start a dog hair business...We ended off the night at a local ice cream parlor. We decided to share it since they were so big! We got the Snickers flavor which had an entire Snickers Bar shoved in the center. It was definitely worth the 40-minute wait!
We woke on Sunday and had breakfast at Shoney's buffet and then Randy left for his convention. On the way, he stopped at another hike we were thinking of doing.
He said it was quite the hike even though it was paved. A steady incline with seats all the way up. The views were incredible, said he.
He said it was quite the hike even though it was paved. A steady incline with seats all the way up. The views were incredible, said he.
While he was away from 10:00am to 7:00pm. I did a workout, watched whatever I wanted, and plucked up the courage to walk by myself in an unknown town to Ripley's Aquarium .5 miles away from our hotel. If you know me-- this was a HUGE decision, of which I am dang proud of myself.
I took as long as I wanted at each exhibit. In order of time/favorite: Sharks, Rays, Jelly Fish, Sea Horses, Penguins. I left as the sun was going down, walking quickly because I don't like being out by myself alone as it is, but in the dark had me really nervous. I got back to the hotel, locked the door, and sighed a HUGE sigh of relief as I hugged myself in pride. I had done it. All by myself!
I took as long as I wanted at each exhibit. In order of time/favorite: Sharks, Rays, Jelly Fish, Sea Horses, Penguins. I left as the sun was going down, walking quickly because I don't like being out by myself alone as it is, but in the dark had me really nervous. I got back to the hotel, locked the door, and sighed a HUGE sigh of relief as I hugged myself in pride. I had done it. All by myself!
We woke, ate, and made our way to the Knoxville airport (which is actually the Tyson McGee airport) for our flights home. When I flew down by myself, they asked if I would gate-check my bags because they knew the overhead compartments would be full. Since I carry everything I needed, I did, picking it up at the carousel when I arrived in Georgia. It was SO NICE to have just one small bag in hand as I switched flights and airports. So when they asked if we'd do that in Knoxville, I asked Randy if we could. He was SERIOUSLY hesitant, telling me he really didn't want to, but I was insistent that I wanted to and that I liked it so much more. He relented.
Randy "Do you allow us to board early if we voluntarily check these?" Knoxville, "No." Randy, "Really? Other airports do." Knoxville, "..." That should have tipped me off to the outcome of my decision to check them...
While waiting at the gate to board our flight from Atlanta to Minneapolis, "If you check your bags, we'll upgrade you to Comfort Plus boarding."
Arrival in Pasco at 8:00pm (10-hours since we took off from Tyson McGee)-- Your Bags are currently on a flight to SLC...
The woman in Knoxville had checked our bags in but not put them on the plane...
We didn't get our bags until 9:00am today...
Knoxville, Tennessee-- We could both live there!!! I love vacationing with Randy when someone else pays for his hotel, flights, and food!! I think our count is down to just 9 states left, all of which could be traveled in just one day, as they are all the small states of the East. I cannot wait!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment