The Randy & Stephanie Dirks Family Est~ 2000
~If you think our hands are full, you should see our hearts!~

Thursday, June 25, 2015

Serge

 Caden is now authorized to begin his Eagle Scout Project.  Knowing that we will be traveling at various times during the next few weeks, we have waited to set an actual date for his project.  However, he started yesterday to make the Example for the coming weeks to show around the ward.
 Caden didn't want to move rocks- a project that would greatly impact our community's beauty, but has been done by a few of his troop members recently- but instead thought of a project that was more personal.  Pediatric Blankets to be given to our local hospital.  The hospital that he was fortunate enough to go to, and be flown to Seattle Children's from.  He wanted a way to bring comfort to children in a time of trauma, sickness, and uncertainty.  He wanted them to be wrapped in warmth and love.  He amazes me with his thoughtfulness and maturity.
 We were going to tie them with his troop, but changed our minds after talking to another mother whose son did blankets for the Fire Department/Ambulances in our community.  She said that they serged around the fleece, making it faster, and easier to stack and keep clean.  I understand that kind of organizational genius. 

Caden won't admit it, but he loved using the serger.  At one point, it wasn't sewing correctly.  I could tell that he was getting a bit nervous, so I told him to step away from it for a while, that we'd come back to it after a break at the pool.  When we got home, I thought he was just playing on his iPad.  Nope!  That boy was researching stuff about the serger, and ended up re-threading the whole thing to make it work.  The pride on that boy's face when he brought me the finished blanket was incredible.  He is determined to bring sunshine to another, through these blankets.
If you are interested in making a few blankets to donate, feel free to email me at dirks (dot) stephanie (at) gmail (dot) com.  I'll have Caden email you all of the instructions and sizes for his project.  We will most likely be "assembling" them and delivering by the end of August.

Cancer was something that we never thought we'd deal with, something that we didn't like dealing with, something that is awful to remember, but that has made this boy an even better human being.  I love him.  I'm proud of him.  I don't deserve him.

I get a serge of pride when I think of him.

Haha, get it?  Serge?  (*Cringe*) I'm not much better at serging, I'm afraid!

No comments:

Post a Comment