I was asked to be part of a choir that began just five years ago with 8 women and now has more than 100. They take part in many different venues around the Tri-Cities throughout the Christmas season, joining many in their praises of The Christ Child's birth. I was asked to be their flutist, something that I have rarely done in the 17 years since my Junior year of High School- the year I quit the band. In fact, I believe I have only played five times since. I was super pumped...until I heard I was going to be playing a duet. Say what now?
It is so nice to be able to hide behind my flute. It is quite like riding a bike. I practice for a few weeks conditioning my lips/cheeks and lungs, working to make my sound match that of the piano, and then play a three minute song while many others sing. Easy Peasy. However, this time there will be a harp (instead of a piano) and another flute to match pitch to. The anxiety is upped a bit. You mean I have to play with someone that has been playing their flute for years and years? What if I suck? What if I suck bad? What if I bring her sound down? What if she wishes they never would have asked me? What if I have to face the friend that asked me, seeing the disappointment on her face? How will I ever have the guts to play again? These were the thoughts of my battered, depressed brain after a lifetime of low self esteem. So, when the other flutist asked to get together this morning, I hesitantly jumped at the chance to compare my skill with hers. And you know what?... It was awesome! We compliment each other perfectly. Our skills are evenly matched. I look forward to the multiple concerts that I am privileged to be a part of in the coming weeks.
I love seeing my children in situations where they can show their skills. I love watching them struggle to master something, and then amaze everyone (even themselves) when their performance was better than they imagined it would or could be. Today, I got to feel that for myself. I practiced a ton this week, readied myself this morning (remember our bathroom mirror statement: I am Good enough, I am Smart enough, and people really like me), went into the "ring," gave it my all, and came out very pleased with my performance. We are going to rock that song! I'm am excited that my kids will have a chance to see me show my skills. Outside of my usual laundry/organization/cooking prowess, that is!
Now...if they would only begin a Mother's Marching Band...that, that would be awesome!
I have always been jealous of your piano and flute skills, even more now as an adult! You make me proud! I wish I could see you play the flute again. ❤️❤️ Maybe, at thanksgiving?
ReplyDelete