A couple weeks ago, we got reminder emails that our Cub Scouts Pack Meeting was tonight. When I went to put it in my phone, I realized that I'd already had it on the schedule, and that I was also in charge of refreshments. I remembered that I'd signed up for them all the way back in January, so when I saw that the meeting was scheduled as "Games and Popsicles," I sent out an email to confirmation.
"I have it on my calendar that I am in charge or bringing refreshments for this Pack Meeting (8/21/18). I signed up to bring them many months ago. Should I just pick up a bunch of popsicles? If so, how many would you suggest? If I am supposed to bring an additional refreshment because the pack is bringing popsicles, I can do that as well. Please let me know what I should do.
Thank you,
Steph"
I got the reply back that another girl and I were co-refreshments, that 7-8 dozen would be sufficient, and if I'd coordinate with her. I was on it. I updated the time in my phone, purchased the cold stuffs when we got home from Utah, let her know I'd grabbed them and that I'd bring them that night, responded to the email "You can count on me," and felt super prepared and on top of things. I love feeling and being prepared.
When we got there, a game was already in progress. I didn't think much of it, though, because our ward is super fun and always playing, talking, and having fun together. After setting my cooler on a nearby table, I walked over to a group of friends and jokingly asked, "Am I late?" I wanted to die when she pityingly looked at me and said, "It started at 6:00. I tried to text you," as I watched in horror as the co-refreshment gal walked past, on her way to my cooler table, with bags (and I mean bags) of popsicles in her hands.
They weren't kidding around with me-- I was late. Late enough that they had to send someone, last second, to the store down the street, for refreshments. Instead of being 7 minutes early for the meeting, I was 43 minutes to late.
She set hers down, they called everyone to order, said the closing prayer, and let the kids loose on the SIXTEEN DOZEN ice cream sandwiches/popsicles.
Thank goodness I reigned in my tears (I'm not even kidding, I had to take gulping breaths to calm myself, I was so close) before it go too embarrassing. I am ashamed to remember them touching my arm, telling me it was OK. Man, I wish I didn't feel so fragile all the time.
While racking my brain, trying to figure out how I was so wrong, it hit me:
I had made the time adjustments on my phone while we were in Utah. The time was off by one hour, because the appointment had been made in another time zone.
Technology failed me today. I felt horrible. I still feel horrible.
Sardonic laughter as I remember emailing the Scout Master, "You can count on me!"
No comments:
Post a Comment