The Randy & Stephanie Dirks Family Est~ 2000
~If you think our hands are full, you should see our hearts!~

Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Green

With an entire week of Snow Days last week, and Shelby working each of those days to makeup missing assignments from January as well as some that were due that week, I was starting to get worried that she'd fill her brain too full of differing information, then get back to school and not do as well on the content assessments.  Remember, she has to pass them at 80% or higher, or she has to go back and do them all again.  Each assignment takes at least 10 hours.  It's a nightmare, especially when she gets behind like she had.

Anyway, I emailed her English teacher, asking if there was any way that I could monitor the content assessment at home, since it was all done online anyway.  She said that I couldn't, but that she was planning to go to a local coffee shop that morning, and would Shelby like to come and take tests there.  On a "day off" for this teacher.  We jumped in the car and met this angel teacher there.

For an hour and a half, this teacher worked on her work while Shelby took FIVE tests: Human Impact, Water and Earth 1, Plate Tectonics, Ancient Greece, and Knowledge of Words 6.  She passed them all!!  In a new environment, with loud music playing on a speaker directly above her head (all 80's music, which was seriously awesome for me to listen to while I waited!), with a booth taken right behind her by 4 teenagers talking quite loudly (despite 6 other booths being wide open!), and a bell dinging every time a new customer came through the door.  That's a lot of distraction!!  And my girl passed ALL FIVE!!

I choked up.  (Randy: "You?  That doesn't sound like you."  Me: "Punk.")  An entire hour and a half of testing, which would have been difficult to do once she got back to school, having spent the entire day working at school.  We were both so relieved, that when I found Shelby like this three hours later...
I realized that she must have been as anxious as I was.  

She still has work to do on Projects (these are done mostly in-class, unless she doesn't finish it there, and take longer than 10 hours each, every single month), so she's working today, a regularly scheduled President's Day day-off, to finish those, returning to school tomorrow without a single worry in the world.

Mrs. Presnell: "Shelby, you'll go back to school with all Greens, when everyone else will have Reds, because of the Snow Days."

Could I love this teacher any more?  No, no I could not.

1 comment: