The Randy & Stephanie Dirks Family Est~ 2000
~If you think our hands are full, you should see our hearts!~

Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Whole?

While at Target on Monday night, I remembered that we needed a gallon of milk.  We'd taken Shelby to spend some of her birthday money, so I stayed with her while Randy went to grab the milk.  If I'd gone to get the milk, we may never have had this fun experiment.

A few months ago (could be last month or last year) I got a gallon of Whole milk.  ALL of the kids said it tasted weird.  I smelled and tasted the milk, but it tasted completely normal.  Randy and I surmised that they didn't like the taste because it was Whole after living their whole lives with 1%.  Randy walked to meet us at the checkout lines, all the way at the other end of the store from the food section, with Whole milk, saying it was either that or Soy milk.  Not wanting to send him back, knowing I would never have grabbed it to begin with, I decided that we'd pour half of the Whole milk into the old container and add 50% water.  Randy thought they'd hate it, but I said it would be no different from the complaining we'd hear about the Whole milk.

It felt so weird to add water to both containers and hide the Whole container in the freezer for later, where I'll pour it all into the 1% container.  When both Keilie and Brennon asked to have cereal with milk for a snack (cereal with milk is breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snack in this house), I found myself hiding my knowing grin, and holding my breath.  Not one word!  It's pretty cool to know that I can get two gallons of milk from one gallon of Whole milk, not that I'll be doing it again any time soon.  I may tell them, I may not.  Who knows, maybe their own kids will read this and be in on a secret with their grandparents!  That's a fun thought.  Hi, Grandchild!

After "snack," Keilie immediately asked the question that I knew she'd been dying to ask: "Dad, will you take me to get my Driver's Permit?"  And so he did.  And then let her drive home from the church.  Ladies and Gentlemen, we have another driver-in-training in the Dirks' home.  It's pretty scary right now because the roads are still pretty much all single lane from last week's massive snow dump.  The plows have made large berms on either side of the road, barely making it wide enough in places for cars to skim by one another.  I sure hope we have super sunny days to melt this snow, or at least not any more snow, until my girl is done with her class that begins on Monday at 4:00pm.  I know this is wishful thinking, since the weather app calls for more snow.  Sigh.  If I can learn to drive in Utah winters, my girl can learn when there's snow on the ground too.

I mean, really, if she can eat watered down Whole milk without one gagging complaint, that girl could do anything she puts her mind to!

1 comment: