The Randy & Stephanie Dirks Family Est~ 2000
~If you think our hands are full, you should see our hearts!~

Friday, November 21, 2014

Chance Encounter

My sister, Brooke, is a manager at Planet Fitness in Utah.  A man walked into her gym wearing a shirt like this...

She made the comment that she loved his shirt.  As they were conversing, she said that her nephew had just finished cancer care.  The man paused for just a moment before asking who her nephew was.  When she said Caden Dirks, he said...

"I am the store manager of Warren's in West Roy.  We are the store that won the challenge to raise the most money for his fundraiser (May 2014).  You know, that has been the most emotional fundraiser of my life.  I have never done anything like that before.  I feel as if I know your nephew."

The shirt he was wearing is the one of the shirts that we purchased for all of the employees of the West Roy store.  We were able to personally deliver them in July when we ended Round 6 earlier than we ever could have imagined.  While we didn't get to see this man in person that day, I will never forget his kindness.  

On the day that they presented the blown up check to my other kids, he mistook Brennon for Caden.  As he grabbed Brennon in a hug, he told Brennon that 'he had said [his] name so many time.'  Brennon was a little thrown off by his approach.  My mom quickly stepped in to correct him.  In his defense, Brennon had just gotten a hair cut and still looked quite bald.  He may not be a part of my physical family, but the love he has for my son makes him a part of my worldly family.  I will never forget his kindness.

Before he left the gym, he pulled Brooke aside to give her a hug.  He loves Caden so much, he just needed to give Brooke a hug!  It just goes to show that 'When we are in the service of our fellow men, we are only in the service of our God.'  It truly is a small world.

1 comment:

  1. That is so sweet! How awesome for everyone that he would happen to go to the gym where she works!

    ReplyDelete