I thought about her tonight, so I sent her a quick note letting her know that even though my son is done with treatment (her son has a few more years) I hadn't forgotten her. Good news was shared about his recovery (he is in remission after a bone marrow transplant. Yay!) as well as their upcoming family vacation. Make A Wish is sending them to Disney World and Give Kids The World. She said she was a bit stressed about the trip, so I sat down and wrote a novel about what she should expect. A masterpiece, I tell you.
As I was writing everything that I could think of to ease some of the unknown, I was getting emotional again just thinking about it. There was so much to say that would make her happy. So much to help her forget the agony that she has watched her son endure. The year and three months that she has been hundreds of miles away from her other kids (They live in Casper, but go to Tennessee for Cancer care) and working husband. So many gifts given freely to her kids that have seen too much. My fingers were flying over the keys, trying to convey the sheer blessing this trip would be for her, for her little cancer-ravaged Logan, and her family. The hope that is given. There is no way to prepare her for the emotions of such a trip, but I do think I am able to prepare her for the fun. Because we did have FUN!
Randy and I saw a statistic that one in four children do not ever get their wish granted. This made my heart ache. The trip was a life-changer for us. Something that gave us more than just a fun time, and fun memories. It gave us back something that had been taken from us...our innocent childhood. Because all of us are children at heart, and it hurts when reality becomes too hard. It was a beautiful remembrance of what life is like through the eyes of a child. Without thought of money, schedules, and time. Just what fun thing will we do next?
I will never be able to express it all- no matter how many times I talk about it. It was perfect!
My most favorite family picture we have ever had taken!

No comments:
Post a Comment