The Randy & Stephanie Dirks Family Est~ 2000
~If you think our hands are full, you should see our hearts!~

Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Life Experiences

We believe that we come to this earth to learn, that the knowledge we gain academically, physically, and spiritually will be the only thing to go with us when we die.  So, as we are thrust toward Caden's finish line, I am desperate for him to have as many life experiences as he can, while he can.  In some things, we, Randy and I, are able to do them on our own for him.  Others are outside of our control.  But two women came to me this week, asking if they could help on two accounts: Homecoming and Graduation.  One I was desperate and a bit manic about, the other I didn't even think could happen.

I was approached on Sunday with a proposition that I honestly wept over.  As soon as I started reading the text, the tears came blindingly fast.

I have this idea that I've been thinking about for two or three days.  Just can't get it out of my head!  It would involve Caden's homecoming "group" and any and all of his friends who are older than 14.  So this is my idea...

This Saturday, I would like to host a dinner for Caden's homecoming group (traditionally a group of kids go to dinner at a restaurant or someone's house before the homecoming dance).  Then after the dinner, I would like to host a 14 and up dance party for any and all of their friends in the back yard on our basketball court.  I have hosted prom and homecoming groups at my house for Jacob.  So, I've got this dinner party thing down!  We also just had a grad party for Jacob with a DJ and everything.  It was SO FUN!  The kids danced all night until we had to turn the music off because it was getting too late.  I have a DJ that we really like.  I have lighting.  I have decoration ideas.  After the dancing dies down they could have an outdoor movie and roast marshmallows around the fire pit. 

I mentioned this to Jennifer.  She said it sounded like fun.  Are you guys available on Saturday?  Is this something you would be interested in?  You and Caden could help in the planning as much or as little as works for you.  No pressure.

We met that night to go over a few details, with me doing a fairly good job keeping my emotions in check (I was close to sobbing the entire 30 minutes). Rebecca has taken this idea and grown it into a night that that not one of these kids will ever forget.  "NIGHT UNDER A THOUSAND STARS"  All for: The Boy in the Bed and his Homecoming Girl.

On the same thought, Caden's counselor, Wendi, approached me with her own idea:

I read your blog and of course my heart is breaking.  I wanted to check in with you to find out how he is really doing?  Do we think he is going to be able to make it to Homecoming?  All I can think about is how I want him to be able to experience that!  And if we need to think of doing something "early" for him, I would love to start talking to the right people and making it happen!  I am not sure if he would want that or how he would feel about that, but I have been thinking about it in the back of my mind!

For the past almost-four years, we have been the recipients of numerous generous acts.  Countless.  Immeasurable.  In some ways, at certain times, it has been as overwhelming as his diagnosis.  When you are the receiver of so much unbridled love and support, it is hard not to feel a bit blinded by the gorgeous sun rays that shine white in your eyes, that break through the darkness threatening to crush you.  These women are radiant in their offerings, as many, many have been in the past.

When I told Wendi of Rebecca's epic party, she agreed that it was going to be wonderful.  And then she approached me with another life experience that she could give him: A Graduation ceremony.  I'm not sure of all of the details yet, seeing as she called me last night at 3:38pm, but I do know that we are going to shoot for the same weekend of Tyson's 8th birthday, and baptism.  If all works out, we'll have Tyson's baptism at 10:00am, have his birthday party at 12:00pm, and then Caden's honorary High School Graduation that night.  Fantastic! 

Can you feel it?  Is your heart not full?  The amazing acts of kindness that we have been shown will never make headlines across the nation like those recently with Hurricane Harvey (coincidentally in the city that Caden was born), they will never be something that goes viral or gets multiple likes and shares across multiple social media sites, but they can be felt deeply by those that read these words.  So many of you have performed some amazing feats for us, whether it be massive parties or humble and sincere prayer in your own generous heart, or those that lie between.  I will never be able to say it enough, in person or in text, or be able to fully convey my deep emotion of thanks.  But if you feel it right now, that emotion that threatens tears on your cheeks and a smile on your lips, you'll understand in small part what I feel when I think on what has been freely given so that my son can experience a few of those things that we are meant to learn while here on earth.  Those life experiences that enrich our lives and make life grand.

I'm the luckiest girl in the world.

2 comments:

  1. I have been an avid reader of yours for at least 4 years. I think longer. I can't tell you how many tears have rolled down my face for you and your family. I am sitting in a parking lot currently, and I confess to holding back sobs as I write this. People are so good. People are so full of love, and I am glad there are those who are lifting you as your hearts are breaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am praying so hard for all of you!!! I'm so glad you have great people around you helping to make these important memories for Caden. Hoping and praying he feels well enough to enjoy these special festivities in his honor. Thinking of you all and sending my love from Texas. ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete