The Randy & Stephanie Dirks Family Est~ 2000
~If you think our hands are full, you should see our hearts!~

Monday, September 25, 2017

Polynesian Cultural Center

We were generously given tickets to attend a Not To Be Missed! activity when in O'ahu: The Polynesian Cultural Center (Ali'i Package).  Monday morning, we loaded up and left early to drive the scenic route to La'ie, Hawaii.  Probably the most beautiful drive and destination on the whole island! 
 It's always hard to get a good picture while driving, but I had to try.  The green of the mountains was SO STUNNING against the bluest blue of the sky and the whitest white of the clouds.


 This is the entrance to the tunnel that we were told is too long to hold your breath from beginning to end.
 Seven people started.  One person succeeded.  Can you guess who?  I'll give you a hint:  The one in this family that has the strongest will.  The one that said that "with every person that couldn't do it, it fueled his resolve even more."  The strongest of our entire family: Caden Randy Dirks.  I'm telling you, I seriously DO NOT know how he did it.  I was a close second place, but even then, I was amazed he held it the whole time.  It cut through an entire mountain!






 Our views as we were driving were so stunning, I asked Randy to pull over for a family picture.  This would be perfect if I could figure out how to lighten our family, while keeping the integrity of the background.  There were many, many spots that could have captured the perfect location for pictures.  Seriously, the most amazing drive!


 La'ie Point




Don't let the angle fool you, it was a 20 foot drop to the water.  I was a bucket of nerves having the kids walk around out here.  It was a rocky terrain where one slip of their flip flops would have sent them diving to the depths.  We didn't stay here for too long, even though the views were breathtaking. 








The second we stepped out of the car at The Point, Keilie got a piece of glass stuck in the bottom of her foot.  We quickly stopped by the grocery store for a pair of tweezers, and while she pulled out the glass we drove to my most looked forward to destination stop: The Temple.  We did not get out, because Caden was too fatigued, but we did get to see it.


Not the best pictures, I admit, but it's hard to capture them when you don't actually stop the car.  In that last one, we were on a round-about, going around and around and around.  It was kind of funny, actually.  This is the best of the five I tried!

We arrived at the Polynesian Cultural Center three minutes after they opened.  The sights were gorgeous, the dancing was superb, the smells were delicious, and the ambiance was intoxicating.  This was an amazing activity that took us from Noon to 9:30pm!  And, because they rented wheelchairs, Caden did better than expected during the long day-- we couldn't have done the day without it.












 The Luau was delicious and so much fun.  And, oh, the dancing.  So graceful and incredible.  Honestly, I don't know how those hips can move at such a rate, yet their ribs don't move a centimeter!  Believe me, I know how hard it is!  You'll see in the below pictures that I tried it!



 Not to worry-- I have no plans to quit my day job!  I'm pretty sure I heard screams from the audience: "MY EYES!!!  THEY BURN!!!  Take it away!!!" meaning me.
 Ha: Breath of Life.  7th row from the stage
The show was amazing!  We were close enough to feel fire.  But that is not the thing we felt the most here.  No, the story touched our hearts and made us grateful for this amazing thing we call Life.

We had heard that The Polynesian Cultural Center was a Must See!, and I have to say, I agree.  The entire day was full of laughter, excitement, giddiness, walking, heat, sunscreen, cold drinks, great food, and fun.  The kids tasted foods that are all part of the experience that is Hawaii, though I'm sad that they didn't taste Poi (not that I think it's delicious, just that it's part of the experience).  The stories that were told through word, dance, and song made the whole day feel as if we were in another world, as if being in Hawaii didn't feel apart enough.  The day started out with gorgeous views that the world has to offer, and ended with gorgeous views of those that are grateful to be alive.  I couldn't have done it any better than they.  Thank you Rodney and Tricia Graves for the suggestion and the tickets!  It was a magical, "O'ahu's Disney", perfect day!

1 comment:

  1. Stephanie & Randy, I’m so glad your family got the opportunity to experience the PCC, especially the show Ha: Breath of Life!! It’s truly the best, and totally a must do...for everyone.

    ReplyDelete