I knew he and Spencer had been looking at doing something together for some time. About a month before they signed contracts with Trisha, Randy told me that it was going to happen. I was happy for him 1) because he'd been looking for something like this for a very long time, 2) because Spencer knows all about it and could teach him, and 3) because I wasn't the one that he'd pass ideas by. At one point he said, "Spencer wants to have his employee do most of the work." I was pleased with the whole thing.
A day before they signed, Randy told me that they'd use my likeness for the blog, since I'm an actual mom and woman. It felt weird knowing that my pictures would be put to someone else's words and work. Since Spencer's wife Brittany didn't want her picture used, I said OK. But it did feel weird. That was what my contribution to the website would be.
Then Randy said that maybe I'd like to do some editing. "Reading through to find errors and such." I said sure, since it wasn't as if I had to be exact for book publishing, or something similarly "important." A toe dipped in the lake.
"So, we're kind of hoping that some day you'll want to take over some of the posts. You know, recipes and your thoughts." I wasn't excited about it, but I wasn't opposed to the idea either. It was just an idea, after all.
Then comes signing day. What a great day that was-- Randy was on cloud nine. I'm seriously proud, and a bit astounded, really, at how he can fit so much into his days. He carries on a full-time job, still travels when he needs to (more than he did for a few months during our fight months there at the end), spends times with us, and now is taking over and learning a new trade. He is such a hard worker, such a great provider, such a great man.
The next day, Spencer came to our house to talk shop. While walking around, doing my thing, I hear more and more, "I'm sure Steph could do that." Suddenly, I'm rewriting and editing some of Trisha's work, I'm in charge of Pinterest, possibly doing Instagram and Facebook posts, some day be "manager" over some of the employees and virtual assistants, possibly getting to the point of writing new content. If I am being completely honest, I wanted to run. I wanted to pout and say, "Remember when you said it would mostly be you, Spencer, and his employee, Jason?" But I kept my mouth shut and just got started on what I could. Slowly, I came around. And got excited.
Last week, I packed up my baking cupboard, bought a few staging items from Target, and drove up to Ashlee's house for a fun, 24- hour bake off. I admit, I was freaking scared to make that drive alone, seeing as I was such a mess the last time. Without the need to stifle my cries, I let it out and just drove. I must have looked like a maniac from Issaquah to Marysville, with many landmarks making me break down and sob again, but it was a very freeing drive. I arrived at Ashlee's refreshed and feeling better about Seattle. I still hate it, but not as vehemently. I'm not sure I'll ever come around to liking it, really.
In one week I've made 11 difference recipes, written 4 articles, taken more than 700 pictures, including two wreath projects made by Jamie, edited 11 existing articles (over the course of the three weeks we've owned it now), with plans to write the remaining 9 posts (one is not a recipe), and cook/bake more. One article was actually a paid gig from Hellmann's Real Mayonnaise. They sent me a recipe, asking that I give it a review. It will be posted on the website soon! It has been fun. And stressful! But more fun.
It's interesting to me how much work goes into this one "project." I love that Ashlee and I have plans to do more cook/craft offs. I love that Danielle has taken over Instagram and Facebook. I love that Jamie gets to write articles showcasing her mad sewing skills. I love that Kimberly gets to flex her wicked graphic design skills editing and creating images from my work. So many women get to stay home, yet make money, all thanks to one "project." Not to mention the woman that is going to take over Pinterest for me (there is a side of Pinterest that I don't know, and have no desire to learn. Ever), the graphic designers in the Philippines that Spencer hired to create new images of old content, or the work that Spencer, Randy, and Jason are doing behind the scenes on logistics (although, they're not stay-at-home women!). It's a whole new world, that's for sure.
Here is a sample of some of the work so far, even if some of it hasn't been published yet.
These are my own recipes, showcased by Kimberly's work, posted on Social Media by Danielle. Awesome!
While I do find myself at the computer more than I ever have been, even with all of my personal blogging over the years, I don't mind as much as I thought I would. Yes, it's more work than was presented to me, but like this blog-- I'm loving it more and more the more I do it.
Here comes that advertisement schpeal: If you think you'd like to do this, if you like to take hundred of pictures of a meal/craft/dessert you make and write detailed how-to's, if you like to write parenting articles, you should submit them for review {here}. I happen to know that we'd love original, relevant content, bursting with lots of pictures.
I'm grateful for this new challenge. I'm grateful I don't have to work. I'm grateful I can do what I want, when I want, or not at all. There are days that I don't do anything but walk around the neighborhood, mindlessly trying to outrun my sorrow, other's I spend as much time as I can fitting Momdot in between laundry, dishes, and meal prep (without pictures) and walking. Life is just as busy as it was during cancer care, more so in some cases, but that doesn't mean it's bad. It's just different than I thought it would be. And maybe that's just fine for now. I need all of the distractions I can get. Especially as we come closer to six months in just 8 days...


So awesome!
ReplyDeleteI agree with Kimberly! You are all doing such a great job, and I’m thankful for the opportunity to help. ❤️
ReplyDelete