With days ahead with not much planned away from home, we decided to take a day trip to a place we haven't been before-- Andie's Prairie in Oregon-- to go sledding.
For 90 of the 95 miles, we were thinking we might have made the trip for nothing more than a scenic drive. We were nearly there when Keilie realized that it still looked like Fall outside. "You mean we've been driving for an hour and a half for probably nothing?!" That was exactly the case...
Until mile 92 when we started to see a dusting of snow. By mile 95, we were in this.
There is a designated place to park, with a trail we were glad others had traversed because I wouldn't be able to tell which way to go without it being tramped down.Even as we were walking up to it (and I do mean up-- I logged 18 floors on my FitBit), you couldn't see just how cool this Sno Park was. And then you crest the plateau to see the amazing fun you're about to have.
And just like that, the hour and fifty minutes became more than worth it!
I don't like activities where I can't easily control my speed. I don't like barreling down large hills/mountain sides on a bike, skates, sticks, boards, sleds, or even running legs, because it's too easy to lose control and crash. I have been sledding only one other time, and skiing once and never again. I'm not afraid of heights, just not being able to slow down from the height drop. After watching my family sled down the tall side a few times, not to mention Tyson on his stomach a few times, I knew I needed to show my kids that I can conquer my fears at least once.
I almost made it to the bottom unscathed... and then I biffed a magnificent biff and rolled three times before coming to a dizzy stop with snow in my nose, ears, mouth, hat, scarf, boots, and coat. We all laughed and laughed.
But we weren't done laughing, because a few minutes later Tyson yelled down the mountain, "Hey, Mom, this is how it's done!" I kid you not, at about the same place I did, Tyson crashed and rolled. I guess I am doing sledding right. I find that I enjoy sledding more as the observer and photographer, so that can be my job when we go sledding.
Because we didn't know more about this place, we didn't bring Mira. We'll not make that mistake again. We already can't wait to come again!
No comments:
Post a Comment