The Randy & Stephanie Dirks Family Est~ 2000
~If you think our hands are full, you should see our hearts!~

Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Definitions

In an effort to finish the Book of Mormon by the end of the year, as challenged by President Nelson, I have been spending my Sunday mornings in bed, reading and listening.  I read at other times too, but I have come to really love my Sunday morning rituals. 

A few weeks ago, while listening and putting on my makeup, I heard something that didn't quite make sense to me.  I went back and read it again and couldn't quite figure out what it meant.
In the chapter heading it reads: "The Lamanite hosts are repulsed and pacified."  I was confused.  How can someone be both repulsed (disgusted) and pacified?!

This was when I found out, at 37 years old, that repulse has two meanings.  Now it made sense!  The Lamanite hosts are repulsed (driven back by force) and pacified.  The Nephites drive them back, talk with them, tell them that they didn't take their women, that it was most likely the Priests of Noah that fled during a siege,  tell them that the pact they made with them is still being kept, and the Lamanites are pacified.

I have read this probably 20-30 times in my life, and yet it has never dawned on me until now.  I love stuff like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment