The Randy & Stephanie Dirks Family Est~ 2000
~If you think our hands are full, you should see our hearts!~

Saturday, January 26, 2019

Best Day

Some would look at my day and think it was wasted, others would think I was nuts to find enjoyment in such a way, but I can in all seriousness say I haven't had such a good day in a long time-- and I didn't even participate in the activity with my family.  I went to watch.
We were a little worried that we'd have to pay another Lessons Fee to have Tyson switch to Skis, but the employees didn't question Randy (he used his "tone") and switched him from snowboard to skis, no problem.  We all knew right away that Tyson was going to have a much better day.

I find it funny now, here at the end of the day, to post these pictures.  I only got one good one in the morning, where the child didn't look fake (or bored while they waited for lessons to begin).
But by the end of the day, Shelby's radiant, excited smile had turned to glum, with all other faces looking this happy.

They'd just come down from the top of the mountain (yes, this was only their second day, Tyson's first) and were feeling on top of the world.  Well, except for Shelby, she just looked like she wanted to be cuddled in bed and hibernate for the rest of winter.

My day was spent taking stuff to and from the car multiple times, and walking in place (got to get my steps) as I looked for my family as they came down the mountain.  I felt such joy at even a glimpse of any one of them.  I loved waving at them, encouraging them, cheering them on, hearing their excitement, seeing their joy.  I loved being with them, even though I wasn't with them.

For the record: I was deliberately trying to get Floors yesterday for my exercise.  I walked up the steep mountain road by our home, trying to get as many Floors as I could.  43.  On the car ride home, I gasped when I saw that I'd gotten 85 Floors!  Granted, it was in a much longer time frame, not all at once as I'd done yesterday, but I didn't even "try," yet I killed it!  Win-Win!

Moment of truth: I can't say I will never get on skis, even though I swore I'd never, ever do it again.  With the kids going and loving it this much, I can see us adopting this sport.  But... it's going to take even more time to convince me to don those slippery sticks of death.  Watching wipe outs, falls, speeding skiers and snowboarders coming from all directions, collisions, and four different Medic runs (one of which needed an ambulance), has me convinced that skiing really isn't going to be my thing.  That being said, if we made Brennon ride on the boat for 10 minutes every time, many times bawling and white knuckling it, because "this is what we're going to do as a family now," I may have to suck it up and deal with it.  Only time will tell...

No comments:

Post a Comment