The Randy & Stephanie Dirks Family Est~ 2000
~If you think our hands are full, you should see our hearts!~

Monday, June 29, 2020

Canyoneering

 We asked the kids which they'd rather do: Lagoon or Canyoneering.  It was unanimous-- Canyoneering!

Randy asked Sherry and Ryan if they'd like to join us.  We are so lucky to have memories with their family from both Hawaii and now this.

Saturday, June 27, 2020


We got to our location only to find a large group ahead of us and a large group racing to beat us in.  The guides decided to take us on a route that their boss had found a few years back that very few know about.  The only downside is a spot where there could actually be swimming required.  Not being a fan of wet clothes but also not wanting to be one that complained, I kept my mouth shut as I sent prayers up to heaven to let the place be dry!

When asked who wanted to go first, I shot my hand up.  I wanted to experience it so I could help my kids that were nervous.  I also wanted to get my own fears under control.  I'm not afraid of heights, but this is the first time I've tried this, so I was a bit nervous.  I also felt strong volunteering first, like Tris on Divergent when she volunteers to jump first. 




*I have to giggle at Brennon's nervous face.  I'm proud of him, absolutely, but he does have a cute scared face.*
Of all of my kids, I'm most proud of Shelby.  She DOES NOT like rappelling, but she said she'd do it.  There was only one place where she needed to do it tandemly, and I'll admit, it was a scary part!

The guide at the bottom took a quick picture while waiting for Shelby to come down.  Again, I knew she would struggle a bit, but it only made me more proud of her.  Our day was about to begin!
Behind us, in the center, is a Chockstone.  A boulder wedged between the sides of the canyon.  This would be the first of two we'd see.




Awkward Family Photo!
Same picture, different angles!












Above was the scariest part of the whole thing, the part that Shelby was crippled by fear enough to need to go down with Marlena, our female guide.  See the water in the center?  We walked down the rocks a bit, then had to climb and walk across some sheer-edge rocks so we could rappel as close to the side as possible to try and skirt the water as much as we could.  One guide went first to help pull us as close to the mud so we could walk the three to four steps to get on more solid ground.  After the first person came down, his legs sunk down to his knees and literally ripped the shoes off his feet.  He retrieved his shoe, then took off his socks and the last shoe and helped the rest of us.

We came to only one spot where we got our feet wet.  We all tried to do evasive maneuvers to stay dry, but all ended up getting to a point where we couldn't hold on any longer.  Marlena actually took all the kids on her back, so I guess the youngest three stayed dry...

This was literally the end of the trail.  It came to a true dead end where you either had to climb out or turn around, where you'd also have to climb out.  But look how perfect this spot is as if the rocks were man-made into stairs for our climb.


Shelby made the comment that this was her favorite part of the whole thing.  I understand why she said it-- it is easier to climb up than feel like you're going to fall down.
It was just a short little walk to come back to where our cars were parked.  Looking at this picture, you'd never know there was a slot canyon right behind and below us.  We had SUCH a good time!

Seriously, SUCH a good time!!


No comments:

Post a Comment