Randy had a trade show in DC, which worked out perfectly to FINALLY be able to finish our 50 States together. This trip has been planned for FOUR YEARS, and each time it has fallen through. I'm happy to report we accomplished our lofty goal. We have now visited all 50 States together.
Bronco
Philly Cheese Steaks in Philly
We looked for a "local" place. You couldn't have gotten more local than this. No tables. Freezers in the "lobby" instead of in the back. Plastic chairs that were taken up by chatting locals without anything better to do. But the food... incredible.Tysons Corner. Not Tyson's. Tysons.
We stayed in the most upscale hotel I have ever stepped in, let alone slept in. Whoa! I picked up this tiny box to show my kids how expensive they were. $9.00 for probably 10 gummy bears. Then, I found the not in tiny letters on the back of the price card. "For your convenience, when you pick something up, it is automatically charged to your room." Before I had a chance to tell Randy that little tidbit, I turned around to him picking up every single item! Needless to say, he called the front desk immediately!The blue dot in the top right hand corner is our hotel. We were this close to the White House, which was still off limits after inauguration on the 20th of January. Had it been just a touch warmer, we would have walked!
Like the SLC Temple, this project was started and then stopped for many, many years. Which is why there is a color difference about 1/3 of the way up. There is no mortar, just the weight of each stone holding it up. Neat. The Washington Memorial.
Washington Memorial on the left, Jefferson Memorial on the right.
Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial.
Lincoln Memorial.
There aren't many times in my life where I have said that rain makes it better, but this is one of them. The reflections we saw on our guided night tour were just magnificent. I didn't mind the rain one bit!
This was as far as we could get to the Capitol because of the deconstruction of the platforms for the inauguration. It takes months to build and weeks to take down. They were also not used this time, because it was much too cold to hold anything outdoors.
We saw Delaware, Maryland, and West Virginia, with lots of Virginia (we'd already been to Virginia). We worked out at two Orange Theory locations: Winchester, WV, and DC. We got ColdStone Ice Cream twice-- my favorite ice cream of all time. We ate at the oldest restaurant in DC. We had an absolute blast. I'm glad to have visited DC once in my life, but I'm not a big-city girl. I love the life Randy and I have built in Richland. I was beyond ready to come home. I also loved hearing that our kids missed us. Tyson: "I missed you more in these five days than I did the whole six weeks you were at The Center." It feels good to be missed, even when I am having a blast elsewhere.





No comments:
Post a Comment