I remember the anticipation that came along with receiving my yearbook at the end of each year. I wanted to run home, crack that baby open and scour each page... Find the boys that I thought were cute, giggle at the pictures that someone was so obviously embarrassed about/proud of, stare at my own picture wondering why I smiled that way, and look for any candid pics I might be in. Well, it turns out that when your kid comes home with his new yearbook, there is no difference:) Caden was excited to show me the girl he thinks is cute- Makenzie- and all of his friends made in the short time we've been here. I was stuck by one other thing that I never cared about as a child- names. I couldn't believe some that were there. It's usually Utah that people associate with "made up names." Now, I know that when someone sees the name Keilie Dirks, they may wonder where we got her name, how to actually pronounce it, or why it's spelled that way. But, what can you do when your dad spells it that way for his own daughter that you named your daughter after?! So, I sat down with his book and jotted down names that I thought were odd. This list does not include girls with boy names, such as Logan, Braedyn, Karsyn, and so on. I also didn't choose any for other ethnic backgrounds, so these are solely names from "America." The names are for girls unless stated with an M.
~Cheona, Kamrace, Tiernan (M), Maerik, Berit, Tennesse (M), Azana, Stonray (M), Artem (M), Delaja, Taycee, Syona, Miciah, Maksim (M), Lyumila, Skiana, Tayzia, Keori (M), Juvenal, Estee, Tenoch (M), Wilder (M), Jevon (M), Jordece (M), Jesstine, Makiah, Signe, Madisonlin, Ruvim (M), Rae'Lu, Justus, Tiairra, Tatum (2 girls), Shahalis, Jeweliana, Dreason (M), Bent (M), Clip (M), McKartey, Lakynn, Lyric.
It was not only first names that stuck out to me. The most unusual (and long) last name was Goodenoughsalazar. How's that for a last name?! I think I would find the shortest first names for my kids if we had a long last name like that, 3-4 letters tops:)
I'm not one to say that names have to be ultra-traditional- as evidence with my own kids' names- but that doesn't mean that I don't think some aren't a tad strange! You know, names are one of my favorite things to think about. Even though we are done having kids, I still think about baby names all*the*time. I hear a name and instantly add our last name to it to see if it sounds good. Or imagine our sons marrying a girl and adding our last name to her own. I have a ton of names in my head that I'd love to use. However, there is not a single one on this list that I would even consider. Not even close!
As a side note, Makenzie is a stunning little girl. She is in no way awkward in her photos, both class and candid, as most 6th, 7th, and 8th grade kids are. You can pick her out in any scene. She's stunning! Randy commented that at least Caden has good taste:) Looks like we're going to have some good-looking grandbabies if he keeps that up!

Holy Buckets!! Those are in no way good names.....seems normal compared to those names!
ReplyDeleteThat's crazy! When you first wrote that you started looking at the names in the yearbook I thought "Awesome, maybe I can get some ideas" YEAH RIGHT! Most of those are beyond bizarre. Although I have to say I have actually already heard of just a couple of them.
ReplyDelete