I saw an idea on Pinterest HERE that I knew I eventually wanted to do. We've recently started a new budget that allows us a "want" budget that we get to spend each month that is totally unaccounted for. I knew this was what I wanted to do this month.
These first few pictures were taken during one of the inspections. I like to go into the house and measure, take pictures, and start placing my own things. I usually have most of my house planned out before we move in. It makes it easy to organize and easy to unpack when I have a map of where everything goes.
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE before and after pictures!!
Had to include this one of my babes. I can't believe how much they've grown in just a few short months of being in this house!!
These were taken in March after I'd gotten everything unpacked, cleaned, organized, and decorated.
We'd already gotten a new microwave, dishwasher, fridge, and handles/pulls. The only other things I wanted was a new sink (this one is only 6 inches deep and can look full with only breakfast dishes) a new faucet, and a new oven. It was only after I saw the post I indicated above that I wanted to do anything with my countertops.
So August 1st I pulled the money allotted for my "want" and got busy. Randy gave a little kick-back, but finally said he'd help. It was kind of funny how he took over:) I was just glad he wanted to help at all!
It was SUPER easy. I LOVE it. It's not exactly as I would have liked, but for the house we are in, the way they looked before, and the imperfections it hides from neglect from the previous renters, it is PERFECT!!!
We started with a primer tinted Cream. It went on really fast and dried within an hour. Next we used a Sea Foam and used Chocolate Brown, Warm Beige, Black, and Buttermilk in secession. We'd finish one and immediately start on the next color. Randy wanted it mostly black, so we went back after Buttermilk and added more. He comments now that he would have liked even more. We probably should have tinted the primer black. We let this dry overnight because we'd forgotten a brush to apply the Poly acrylic. Don't use Polyurethane, this will dry yellow. We ended up putting on 5 coats, which was the entire small can.
I love the depth it adds to my small, cheap, but totally loved kitchen. Next month will add a tile backsplash. Randy doesn't understand why I want to put my money into fixing this house up. He just doesn't realize how much I LOVE this house, how much I want to stay in this house, how much I want to push-back when he asks to move us yet again. I know I'm stuck to two other houses. I know that we live on a postage stamp size lot, I know it's a tiny 1600 sq. ft. home, but SERIOUSLY...this is my absolute favorite house we've ever owned!!:)
No comments:
Post a Comment