I have wanted a Beadboard Backsplash for about 3 years now. I saw the girl on www.thriftydecorchick.blogspot.com do one in her kitchen and knew I wanted one for my own. I tried to get Randy to do one for me in Bar Nunn, but we ran out of time before we moved. In all honesty, I don't think he really wanted to do one. Here is my before and after party of my very-own Beadboard Backsplash:)
I posted these same pictures last month after I painted my countertops.
(Please excuse the massive Diet Mt. Dew above and below. This was a very hard time for me during the sickest time of my life.)
Close-up reminder of what the countertops looked like before we painted them.
Notice the chintzy backsplash shown in our powder room. This was the previous backsplash in the kitchen. Each of the bathrooms have this still. Still unsure what we'll end up doing to update them, maybe tile. Anywhooo, onto the "after" photos!
Just to clarify, we started this right before lunchtime on Friday and worked directly before and after dinner as well. The sink is full, the "Kitchen Manager" (You like that?) is embarrassed, but I had to take pictures of the process. Without the trim, caulk, and even paint, I was still giddy!!
Dishes are done...phew! The Kitchen Manager has not been fired. Dang It!! The caulk has just been applied. We needed to wait the allotted 30 minutes for it to dry, however, we ended up leaving it until the next morning. I was completely drained. Please, I mostly watched while Randy worked and I was done by 8:00;) Bedtime for the Mommy/House Elf!
A few different angles. I love that Beadboard doesn't sit on a laminate backsplash. It makes it look like my countertops really are faux "granite."
We used an Oil-based Gel paint to really make it shiny. I wanted to brighten up this drab little kitchen! I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. The true compliment was when Randy told me how much he loved it. That it turned out better than he thought. That we really should have done it in Bar Nunn. That it would have looked awesome in Bar Nunn. That it brightens up the place. That he loves looking into our kitchen now. That he's glad I used my "want" budget and made him do it. That it was fun to do a project together two months in a row. That he loves it...
And just like that, I feel validated for my efforts. Even though this is just a temporary house for us while we search for the house we want (preferably in the same area for schools and ward but with more land), I still live here right now. I still love it right now! I want to make it ours. I want to spruce it up while I live here. And maybe, just maybe, Randy will love it as much as I do and opt never to move again!
It looks even better with the covers over the outlets:)
I'm not sure what my next month's project will be. I'm using most of my budget to go to Time Out for Women in Tacoma with Jamie! However, I'm thinking of maybe saving the rest for a new faucet and sink. Cause that sink makes breakfast dishes look like we haven't done dishes in days! Oh wait, you've seen proof of that in above pictures;)
I LOVE how shiny it is. It looks great!
ReplyDelete