The Randy & Stephanie Dirks Family Est~ 2000
~If you think our hands are full, you should see our hearts!~

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Landscaping

Flower Garden Before and After
 I never understood why they chose to put the bushes in the way they did.  There was no rhyme-or-reason to their placement.  They weren't symmetrical, they weren't evenly spaced, they were kind of just thrown in there.  So, while my dad was here for Easter, I had him help me pull out the bushes.  It was a big project that involved strapping the base of each one and yanking them out with our Yukon.  Fun for the guys!  My mom and I took each rock out by hand, placing them in a bucket, and dumping them in the strip between the two driveways.  It was a lot of work that I did mostly by myself.  I put bushes around the perimeter that bloom a small Lilly in the Spring.  I also put an Azalea bush and some grasses to kind of hide some of the electrical stuff.  We put down a red mulch and stepped back to admire my work.  Until winds blew the mulch away in patches.  Back to the drawing board for me!
Our neighbor across the street was putting down some curbing and had extra, so they came to our yard and put it around the flower garden.  For FReeEEEE!  I was super giddy!  This prompted me to pile the red mulch around each bush and get those rocks we moved back in there.  Again, bucket and by hand, I felt like I could get more precision this way.  I LOVE the way it turned out!!  No more drawing board for me on this side of the house!  Now it's the backyard that needs some serious TLC.  The previous occupants had three large dogs (as told to us by the postman that was chased by one).  The yard was neglected in a bad way.  I will now give it my undivided love!  Hopefully I can get it looking decent someday.  Enough to maybe invite friends over for a BBQ!

2 comments:

  1. That looks so much better! I love it! We need to do so much landscaping to our front yard it's not even funny. I know we can't do it until next summer but it's so hard waiting. :)

    ReplyDelete