Our Cancer journey has been a lot like my retainer case. Not everyone in the world has the opportunity to have a pink sparkly retainer case. In fact, those of us that have had retainer cases wish we didn't have to have them. We are a bit envious of those born with perfect teeth that do not have to have orthodontia from third grade to the summer before they become a cheerleader. Ahem, moving on... back to my metaphor. That case was plain, ordinary, and let's face it disgusting. However, if it had been opened and examined, looked at in a different way, a treasure would have been found, something unexpected and completely wonderful. As our journey is coming to it's end, it reminds me of our hidden treasure.
Without this trial, I wouldn't have seen Caden's faith, courage, compassion, hope, strength, charity, or determination. I wouldn't have had months of one-on-one time to seriously get to know his heart, mind, and personality. I know him so well now. And he knows me. I wouldn't have seen the resilience of my other kids. Their strength during these hard and unexpected times. Their deep love for their older brother. Both Caden and Jesus Christ. I wouldn't see their courage as they watched their brother change from health to anti-health. Their compassion as they witnessed his feeding tube and not once made mean or embarrassing comments about it. I wouldn't have seen the MANY people come together to support us. The manager that gave a table of six a free meal. Who brought Caden candy, a movie ticket, and a free hour of arcade where he had a memorable experience of being the popular kid that won 7 times. Or the woman that saw Caden as we drove past her as she was coming out of the bank, followed us in to Safeway, told me she was stalking us and slipped money into my purse. Her son had been in the hospital for 114 days. She said he was all better now, running around a baseball field without signs he'd ever been sick. She asked Caden how he was doing, told him good luck on his last Round, and left without buyin a single item from Safeway. The money she gave was a $100 dollar bill. Caden asked if I thought she would head straight back to the bank. That $100 was used, in part, to purchase all those delicious calories from the vending machine last week. People have come forward and given us a beautiful memory. One that rivals any artist's masterpiece. Something that we all can see, but also feel. Something that was hidden in a disgusting, ugly, no-one-wants "case."
Caden had all of his Scans and tests yesterday. Around 4:30PM the Doctors came in to give us the results. She asked Caden which news he wanted first, CT Scan or PET Scan. CT Scan showed that the tumor has shrunk. On February 7, 2014, the tumor measured 5.8"x4.17"x5.7". On April 22, 2014, the tumor measured 4"x4.3"x4.17". Still the size of a grapefruit, but downgraded from Large to Medium. She showed us how it is next to the major artery that delivers blood to the liver, but told us not to worry. It would be a challenge, but the surgeons at Seattle Children's do this kind of thing all the time. Do not worry!
The PET Scan showed the most exciting news of all. On February 7th, the fast-acting, rapidly-dividing cells around the tumor lit up like those of the brain, esophagus, and bladder. On April 22nd, there was no color at all. The tumor is dead. There are no living Cancer cells in his body. The tumor, while still large and ever-present, is dead. And scheduled to be removed in just two weeks!!! All of his suffering, vomiting, days of feeling miserable, and time away from home, friends, school, and childhood have paid off. All of the hourly visits from nurses, doctors, and CNA's have born fruit. That tumor is 100% dead!! And just like David with Goliath, Caden faced his massive opponent with courage and faith, and won. The part of that story that I have never thought of till now is the fact that Goliath had to be removed after his death. Man, what a task that must have been. We'll face a similar task on May 7th. But just like that story, we are only going to remember his victorious battle, the one where he advances as champion. So... Here's to Caden, the extraordinary boy that defeated a monster!!!
Way to go Caden! I am so happy that the chemo did it's job! And Stephanie, you are amazing--you are such a good example of being positive and being grateful in EVERY situation. I have learned a lot from you! Sending love and prayers from Perry, UT :)
ReplyDeleteWhat amazing, wonderful, happy news!!! I'm so happy that you've found hidden jems through this journey. GO Caden!
ReplyDeleteHOORAY! Best.News.Ever!
ReplyDeleteThis is one of the best posts I've ever read. I love your analogies!
ReplyDelete