Caden had a good night. I, on the other hand, couldn't quiet my mind. I was awake at 2:00AM when they brought in another nausea med, I woke to help Caden make it safely to the bathroom at 4:30AM, at last waking to the TV at 6:00AM. I rolled over to ask Caden to turn it down just a little bit. I think he pressed DOWN just one time, maybe. Still too loud, but I'm not the one with Chemo being pumped through me, so I allowed the sound to stay. Then comes the lights. On, off, on. I just rolled back over and allowed him time to play, man, I was so tired. Then comes the colored lights directly above my head. Blue, Red, Green, Pink, Purple, Orange, Blue, Red, Green. This time, one arm went over the upward ear, my lower ear was folded, and my other arm went over my eyes. I wasn't bothered, just tired. And then, muffled, I hear Caden say, "Mom, I just don't feel well." He was crying. This time, as I got out of bed, I didn't think about how dizzy I was, how I wished I could just be comfortable. I looked at him and just melted. He'd been trying on purpose to wake me (not surprising) because he wanted to spend time with me. I embraced him, telling him that I wanted him to let go when he was ready, I had all the time in the world. After a few minutes, through a little giggle, he said, "Mom, I'm sorry I got your clothes wet." And then we both laughed. My boy knows me! This time, I was happy for the wet clothes. He started to get a sparkle in his eye. "Mom, this is my LAST day of Chemo!" I know now that it wasn't that he didn't feel well, it was anxious energy about today. We both did a little (sitting) happy dance and made the decision to take a long walk to celebrate. We went to the vending machines for a drink. And the day has been getting better and better! He's joking, he's laughing, he's killing me at Skip-Bo. He's eating, he's painting, he's bright and alive. He pointed out three times during rounds with the attending doctors that today is his LAST day of Chemo. They all laughed and joked and enjoyed his effervescent happiness. Finally, finally they got to see the Caden that I know. The one that makes you smile with his witty comebacks, his movie lines, and his luagh. Today is an amazing day! Can you believe it?! At exactly 1:45 PM Pacific Daylight Time, Caden will be DONE with Chemo!!!! How happy I am. We've made up two songs already this morning. One titled "Best Round Ever," another title, "Last Day of Chemo." Look for them to top the charts next week!
Just wanted you to know that we are all still thinking of you and missing you. I visited the Mills in St George and they asked how you were all doing. They are thinking of you, too. Can't wait to see you!
ReplyDeleteYippee I can't believe he is done. That is awesome
ReplyDelete