Thursday, December 4, 2014
Every Thursday Night is Christmas at Give Kids the World. They decorate, have crafts and play 'reindeer games.'
My kids were on Team Comet. The other team, Team Blitzen, was stiff competition. They each had a box of decorations for their tree. The first team to finish, using all of the decorations, was the winner. And then came the bombshell, they both won!
We were the family with the most kids, so mine were the only siblings on a team. Incidentally, we had enough to make up the whole team. And, in my opinion, we were the cutest as well as the fastest.
Then they took turns throwing wrapped presents into the chimneys. Each group took one turn with the tall and short. Each kid got one try and then moved to the back of the line. And because this is a village for wish families only, there were many children with physical or mental disabilities. This didn't stop their parents from joining in with them. They would take the hand of their child in a wheelchair, place the present on top, and throw it. They never made it, not even close, but that wasn't the point. At this party, in this game, physical limitations weren't a bother, they didn't slow anyone else down. We all cheered for the kids. We screamed with each success. We rallied around the ones that don't get a chance to participate when a timer is involved. It was just another night of perfection from a place that strives to make each child feel like they are the most special of any child in the world. And to the parents that love them, the village built for them, and the staff and volunteers that give love to all, they are the most special.
Every Thursday night, Santa comes to visit. Caden had two Make A Wish shirts, the official one he was given and the one that I purchased before we left, so he still matches the rest of us. But Shelby had been drenched and had to change. That is the only thing that I wish could have been different on this night. We all know how I love matching/coordinating clothing when there is a picture to be taken!!
After our picture, Santa invited my kids to 'go around the corner and pick out their gift.' And by pick out, I mean we walked around the corner to this...
Hasbro had come bearing gifts for each child. Rows and rows, stacks and stacks or many different gifts for each child to choose from. I cried a bunch this trip, I couldn't help it. We were being given so much. And on this night, as my kids were given free reign of the toy isle, I was overcome with gratitude. At one point, a Hasbro volunteer asked me if I was alright. Through gasps, tears, and pure emotion, I finally croaked out that I was just so happy. This may have been a little thing to them, something that they do every Thursday, but to me, it was MASSIVE! Just one small glimpse into the world that we lived in, the amazing bounty that was showered on us. It was overwhelming. And wonderful.






No comments:
Post a Comment