The Randy & Stephanie Dirks Family Est~ 2000
~If you think our hands are full, you should see our hearts!~

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Kennedy Space Center

Friday, December 5, 2014

When the Wish was made, Caden asked if he could go to Kennedy Space Center.  Space exploration has always been something that interests Caden.  Because we were staying at Give Kids The World, we got to go for free.  It wasn't as fun for the little kids, but it was amazing to be there.  The sad thing...there was an actual launch that morning that we didn't even know about.  We missed an actual launch!!  Oh well, we still had a great time!!



 We watched a video presentation of how the shuttle came to be.  The years it took, the ideas that were presented, the trials that were made, and then the eventual launch video.  I realize that I had been emotional for a whole week, but this was more than that.  I was so proud to be an American, at that moment!  To realize how huge this was in American history, to think about how it would have been to watch it.  The fear, the frustration, the excitement, the hope.  It was a beautiful video.  This time, my tears were for pride.  
I am proud to be an American!!!
 They had a 'ride' that was a flight simulation.  Tyson was literally 1 inch too short, so he and I got to watch the ride.  It was fun to see my entire family sitting on the front row.  It was fun to see their faces.  Their cheeks, especially:)




 Shoes come off.  Only big enough to crawl.  See what it's like to be an astronaut.

 This was a video re-enactment of Apollo 8.  After the tragedy of Apollo 1, we were determined to get someone up into space.  I put myself in the shoes of the three men that boarded that shuttle, that morning.  Were they going to die?  Was the shuttle safe- unlike Apollo 1? Had they said goodbye to their loved ones?  I can't even imagine all that they were feeling.  And then to be the ones that were in charge of the launch?  How scary it was for them.  Would three more men be sacrificed for Space?  It was an emotional time.  And, as the shuttle made it past the worst of it, the emotions were so strong.  We'd done it!  A man was headed to space.  It was so spectacular!
 Testing out the Mars Rover.  They needed something that could traverse uneven terrain, such as backsides of cute little kids:)  And Daddies!


I will never forget 9/11.  Ever!  I remember exactly where I was, what was felt, how the rest of the day was spent, and even the weeks after.  I will never forget.  Here is a time in history that others will never forget.  Something that was happy.  Something that has changed our lives.  Something that had many ups and downs.  Something that we can be proud of.  We won the Space Race.  We are forever changed because of this.  I am grateful for Space.  And for our day at Kennedy Space Center.

No comments:

Post a Comment