The Randy & Stephanie Dirks Family Est~ 2000
~If you think our hands are full, you should see our hearts!~

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

On the road again.

We head back to Seattle this afternoon.  I am sad, but ready to keep fighting.  Each day gets us closer to that tumor being removed.

Caden's pain has been lessened with the recent prescription.  He is on a slow release, every 12- hours dose, that has made it so that he is off of the every 4-hours medicine.  It has changed his pain level substantially.  That has been a great relief.
Caden's nausea has still been persistent.  It hasn't been as often as it was at the beginning of the week, but he has thrown up everything that has touched his stomach.  He's able to keep food down for a longer period, thus getting a few calories in his system, but inevitably he throws everything up before going to bed.  He has gone to bed with an empty stomach for the entire week.  In a way, he feels better with nothing in his stomach.  It's been hard wanting him to eat (and eat, and eat, and eat), but watching him writhe with nausea from such an upset stomach.

He is still very weak and tired.  No wonder, with his body working on fumes.  But he is still my Caden.  He found a project on YouTube to surprise the kids with.  He hasn't been able to finish it, but we have plans to take it with us and hopefully be able to show them their surprise when we are together next.  It is something for him to look forward to. 

He still has his humor, too.  With his hair buzzed short, it was taking a while for the hair to fall out.  One day, as he was using a lint roller to help the hair loss along, he gasped.  Worried about any number of things, I nervously asked, "What?"

(Pause for effect) "I...have.........the best idea!  I could sell my hair on these sticky sheets as ART!"

He got the rise and the reaction he wanted: Worried, to eye roll, to laughter.

I'm worried for this week.  Tomorrow starts the five days in a row of intense chemo.  From what I've heard from Sarah Gallaher (Remember her son, Caleb, is Six and went to my kids' elementary) -we are following his chemo schedule- this drug is the most harsh for Caleb.  He throws up more with this one than any other.  Perfect!  Caden's not stopped throwing up from the "easy" one, I am totally looking forward to what this week will bring.  {Insert epic eye roll here.}
Thank you for your continued prayers.  It has been super hard this week, but I have felt a peace that can only be attributed to a Heavenly hand.  Thank you so much!  Please continue to pray for Caden.  This week is going to be his biggest challenge yet.
We made it safely to Seattle tonight. As it stands, today has been the only day that he has not thrown up. Yet. And he's actually eating. It breaks my heart that it is so close to chemo tomorrow, but I'll take the calories he's eating. He's actually eating!!!!!!! 

And one more bit of good news...
I got one of these babies this week!! I LOVE these papers!! It is like a plaque or trophy from my "boss." I have found that they give them only when no one is in the room. My room is always clean, but Randy was in the room last week, so they just stuck their head inside the door. I was SO sad that I couldn't collect one of these bad boys. Simple pleasures, my friends. Simple.pleasures. 

2 comments: