Fast forward to an amazing Make A Wish trip to DisneyWorld, a trip that could never be replicated in a million years!! Still the best time we've ever had as a family!
Today, Caden had chemo at 10:00. He had a hard before-sleep night, but ended up sleeping pretty peacefully through the night. He got to clinic feeling pretty sick, though. He has not opened his eyes, nor spoken a single word since last night at 9:30, when he called out, "I'm puking. Please help me." It has been pretty brutal.
As they were hooking him up, I heard over a distant PA system (while trying to zone out the fire alarm that was blaring) the words 'Treehouse Masters.' My ears piqued, my body stilled. Did they just say what I thought they said?! Could Pete Nelson really be here? A few phone calls confirmed, yes, the host of Treehouse Masters was in the playroom on level four! They weren't sure how long he would be there, so I hustled down to get the deets. I am a little embarrassed to admit that I cried a little at the sight of him. Here before me is my son's favorite tv hero!
He was talking to some of the other patients and made the comment, "I actually wondered if anyone would even know who Pete Nelson was!" I did a little gasp. We know who Pete Nelson is!! We have religiously watched episode after episode of his show each time we have come to Seattle. Randy actually tried to sneak Caden to their headquarters, once. Yes, we know who Pete Nelson is!!
I was able to get an autograph, with a promise to bring Caden down if we could. They were only going to be able to stay until noon. With Caden being hooked up to chemo, we hoped to be done by 11:30.
They asked if I wanted a picture, but I said no, wanting it to be Caden's giddy, star-struck smile, not mine. As it turns out, Caden was not well enough to go down. While being given the best of the IV medications, Caden was woke from sleep with his violent vomitting. We have decided to stay for a few hours to see how the IV medications do, with options to be admitted later tonight if we choose. We'll see what the next few hours bring. For now, Caden Dirks has a signed postcard from a man he loves watching on tv. How cool that we were here during the small window of opportunity to get his autograph!

No comments:
Post a Comment