The Randy & Stephanie Dirks Family Est~ 2000
~If you think our hands are full, you should see our hearts!~

Friday, December 1, 2017

Picture Bursts

 I have posted before and mentioned recently that we do a family ornament each year, something that commemorates our family life.  Our first ornament was a time capsule, telling all that we did that year, what was in the news at the time, and generally what we were doing on our First Christmas Together.  Our second year was almost forgotten.  Everything I thought about was my 7 month old-- who has time to think about ornaments when you have a infant to snuggle?  So I went to bed pretty upset after remembering that we hadn't gotten one yet, too exhausted to think of what we could do.  I woke Christmas morning 2001 to a homemade ornament surprise from Randy.  He'd gone through my craft bucket and made a simple ornament from a decorative light bulb and some curling ribbon.  It has always held a special place in my memories and heart.

2013 we decided that we wanted our ornament to be a family picture in our new home.  Well, new to us that year-- we moved in in February.  Before opening any presents (notice the clock-- 5:53am), we gathered around the tree for the picture we'd put in the ornament.  In a burst of ten pictures taken on a timer, this was the one we knew we'd choose the second we saw it on the computer.  9 pictures had us all looking at the camera and tired-smiling so great.  The One had Randy making the face that he does to clear his eyes for the next timed picture.  We laughed and laughed at his face after opening all of our gifts. 

I've been going through our Christmas family pictures-- some posed in matching clothes, some in jammies in front of the tree, all gloriously beautiful.  Seeing us smiling brings me joy.  My family may joke about how many pictures I take and pose and coordinate, but one day they'll thank me for capturing so many good times.  Who wouldn't love to see Randy's eye-clearing face?!

1 comment: