The Randy & Stephanie Dirks Family Est~ 2000
~If you think our hands are full, you should see our hearts!~

Monday, January 7, 2019

Ready!

I'm not quite sure what it is really, but I've been much more anxious about Keilie starting to drive than I was for Caden.  I had zero reservations about Caden learning.  I think it has more to do with Caden's straight-as-an-arrow approach to everything, more than wanting him to experience all he could.  I don't like to compare kids, but I have to say I do think that's what I've been doing all these months as the realization that Keilie would be behind the wheel became more of a reality, and my terror to let her start-- comparing Keilie's personality/approaches/past experiences and outcomes against Caden's.  Circumstances (cancer and broken arm) had Caden starting his class closer to fifteen and a half, where I purposely kept Keilie from signing up at fifteen, like her friends.  I just didn't feel like she was mature enough to be in charge of a vehicle, even after all of her affirmations that she was.

Tonight, on a whim, I decided to give her her first instruction lesson.  Nothing fancy, not even leaving the driveway, but enough for her to feel and understand the break and gas pedals.  We spent 20 minutes reversing and pulling forward in a bunch of different directions, tap, tap, tapping to get the feel of forward and back.  She felt how it feels to turn the wheel before advancing, and also as she was driving.  Many different things were felt today, before she experienced them under stress on the road.  She got some of the slamming out of her system, too.  I know she'll slam more when she's stressed, but it won't be because she didn't know how things felt for the very first time.  Soon after, I felt she was ready for the church parking lot.  Round and round the parameter we went, learning how it feels to turn the wheel and accelerate without the fear of other cars.  I will freely admit it-- It was FUN!

As I watched her profile, again marveling at her beauty, I couldn't believe I was sitting in the passenger seat for my second child, helping her learn something so monumental.  My gosh, my Keilie is going to be driving soon!  I'm ashamed to say that the bigger shock for this year was that I'd have a Senior that would have graduated, been filling out college and mission paperwork, becoming an adult.  But as I watched my Keilie-girl experience new sensations tonight, as I witnessed the surprise and determination and utter excitement, I couldn't help but feel pure jubilation that she's old enough to learn, that she really is ready to drive (well, as ready as a child can be).  I'm less scared now, having seen her in action.  And just like with Caden, I realized I was born to teach my kids how to drive.  And help them with date ideas.  And get them all dolled up for special events.  And cheer like a maniac for their accomplishments.  Motherhood is freaking amazing sometimes!!!

1 comment:

  1. I remember when you taught me how to drive the stick shift around the neighborhood! So excited for, Keilie!

    ReplyDelete