As mentioned before, I got a cheek swab test way back in March that I got the results for on April 29th. It's a new test that is offered that I didn't actually understand the significance for until I got the results. Now I want to get my girls one, so that they can have the same information I do.
Because it's a test that uses your genes, this information will be relevant for the rest of my life. The only thing that will change is the drugs they test it against in the future. For now, I have all that I need.
I went in in March, where Dr's nurse swabbed each of my cheeks for 10 seconds. That was it. Knowing my aversion to blood work, this test was my most favorite I've ever taken in my whole entire life. They send them in every Friday morning, and then the results usually show up a week or two later. Because I already had an appointment scheduled for the end of April, he waited to give me the results in person.
He had an entire packet ready for me, with Green, Yellow, and Red columns for many different drug types. Green medications are "Use as Directed," Yellow has stipulations and warnings that say "this particular drug may not work well for this patient," with Red being "Do Not Prescribe." There were lists like this for anti-depressants, anti-anxiety, anti-psychotic, mood stabilizers, opioids, non-opioids, and a whole list of others. Seriously, I found out that Naproxen Sodium works better for my body than Ibuprofen, things like that. I found out that every single antidepressant I've ever been prescribed was in the Yellow column, which answers why I have never felt they worked, which then made me hesitant to try any others, since the 2-weeks in your system-- one month trial-- 2-weeks titrating off wreaks havoc on me. Now I have a whole list of antidepressants to choose from in my Green, "Use as Directed," column. I find that information valuable, should there ever be a time that I needed that prescription. As long as those drugs are on the FDA list they will work well for me, because my genes and their formulas of those drugs will never change. That is just neat.
Like I said, when they add new drugs under these categories, I'd have to get another cheek swab to be up-to date on them, but with the long lists of drugs I know will work for me, I see no reason that I'd ever need to take it again.
At the end of the packet was a "Side Note" page that says I have a gene mutation where my body doesn't use and break down Folic Acid in the correct way. Tied to this MTHFR C677T mutation are: Cardiovascular problems, miscarriages and neural tube defects. This may be the answer to my miscarriages in 2005&2006, since I never found out exactly why I miscarried. "Some studies have shown that people with this gene mutation have a 16% higher chance of developing coronary heart disease compared to people without these mutations." Doctor suggested I buy Methylfolate and take 7.5-15 mg each day.
The last thing it stated on this test was I have moderately decreased serum folate levels, meaning I am more prone to feeling faint (yep), tired no matter how many hours each night I slept (yep), lack of energy (yep), and headaches (yep), and that I have moderately increased homocysteine levels, meaning I am not getting enough B12 vitamins. A lightbulb went off above my head. Because of this gene, my body was having a hard time converting folic acid into the vitamins and minerals my body needs, specifically tied to my B12 deficiency. So, not only did he tell me I needed folic acid--the methyl kind specifically-- but that I needed to get B12 into my system daily. He suggested I also get a B12 shot to jumpstart my new regimen. So that's what I've been doing for a week now.
That B12 shot was A LOT of liquid going into my arm. I fully expected to see a lump on my arm when she was done. It bled through a bandaid, it was so much liquid. It didn't hurt like a tetanus shot, where it burns like lava in your blood, but it hurt because there was just so much that needed to go in. I felt twinges the rest of the night, like my body was sending blood and antibodies to help break down the vitamins pooled in that spot. I felt a little off the rest of the day, but nothing much different than how I'd felt for the last little while. However, the next day, and those since, have been amazing. I see a difference in my energy levels during the day, notice that it's not as hard to wake each morning, that I generally feel better, and that I haven't felt as bored/bothered/anxious as much.
Once the anniversary of Caden's not-five years passed in January, I found myself returning every day so that when I got this test in March, it was more because I'd already made the appointment than needing to find out which antidepressant I could begin immediately. But with this B12, I truly have seen a difference come 2:00pm when I usually would start to wish I could take something to make me sleep until about 8:00pm, which is when I usually felt a lift of my spirits and more alert and awake. It was those hours from 2:00-8:00pm everyday that I found the most difficult. I just wanted to sleep until I felt better, less sad. But this past week, I've blazed past those hours like nothing, finding enjoyment in many different things. It's been nice. Who knows, maybe after a month of this new regimen, I'll even be able to be optimistic that my depression was just a major symptom of my B12 deficiency all along.
The one symptom that I have had since the beginning February 2010 (I found the blog post in my 2010 blog book last night, in fact) that I hope it can heal is the flashes and floaters I have in my eyesight every second of the day. They've gotten worse over the years, to the point that I truly thought I would most likely be blind by like 70, because they are filling up more and more of my sight. Many of the articles and studies I've read about B12 deficiencies say that some of the neurological symptoms may never heal if you've had the deficiency for too long, but I'll keep praying that with enough regular B12, maybe, just maybe I can heal my brain and eyes.
I feel like it is too soon to tell on a lot of the symptoms, and how they have been affected this last week. But I am cautiously optimistic that my stomach issues, my memory issues, my depression and anxiety issues, and my eye issues are getting better. I can with 100% honesty say that my sleep and energy levels have improved. I hope that continues forever, and doesn't slack off once my body has had regular vitamin hits for a month or two. Who knows, maybe I'll need regular shots? Scary thought, but worth it if I feel the way I've felt this last week!
Cutting edge science has always intrigued me. That's what this test is. It takes your genes and tests them against all of these drugs to match you with your perfect medication, to see which your body would metabolize best for the most optimal results. That is just neat! And it's only a cheek swab!
CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION
That test sounds amazing! I bet it was a huge relief to get some clarification on things you can take/avoid. Do you happen to know what the test is called? I'm interested in talking to my doctor about it.
ReplyDeleteI added a link for the website at the bottom of the post. I should have thought to do that first. Thanks for asking about it!
DeleteSo your doctor was able to do the test? I've asked my psychiatrist for a similar test (who knows it might be the same) and she told me she didn't want to do it on me. I was ticked cause I am tired of trying all kinds of meds that either do horrible things to me or don't work. Thanks for sharing this post.
ReplyDelete