The Randy & Stephanie Dirks Family Est~ 2000
~If you think our hands are full, you should see our hearts!~

Monday, April 6, 2020

Seek

We continued with our General Conference game of choosing one word for each candy bowl.  Because of the pandemic, we didn't want to purchase too much, so we didn't get as much as we normally do.  Wanting to save it for more than just Saturday, I tried to think of another fun game to implement.  I think I came up with a good one.
I printed off empty Bingo boards.  Jesus Christ was the center of our boards.  Starting with Randy and going in order of birth, we each chose just one word to place wherever we wanted on our own board.  Because you didn't know which word was coming next, you never knew exactly where to put the word.  If the word you were thinking of was said by someone else, you had to think of one on the fly.  It worked out perfectly to have each person choose four words.

Listening for those words to be spoken, we'd race to get a Bingo before everyone else.  Once a Bingo was called, we had them read back the words they had covered (to make sure that everyone heard that word as well) and then everyone would clear their board and begin again, the winner getting a small treat.  We kept track of Bingo wins, with the one that won the most getting a tally for the Covid Competition.  It was a hit!!  We'll definitely do it again.  Brennon won the most, even though Keilie and Randy tried to be smart with their word placements and not just random.

Trying to be as fair as possible with game choices, we decided last week that after each game played, we'd roll a die to see who chose the game next. 1- Tyson 2- Brennon 3- Shelby and so on.  As soon as Conference was over, we rolled a die and began our competition in earnest.  3:00pm-9:30pm was nothing but games.  And arguing.  And heated discussions.  And cheers and screams.  And FUN!!!
 This is Mira's place when we're playing Croquet.  She is our mascot, cheer squad, and audience.
  After the first few games, she got a little bored and took a quick nap.
 And then found something to do to entertain herself.  Honestly, she makes everything better, even if she isn't participating.

**I always want to remember that we played a game where I won and Randy came in dead last.  I also want to remember the time that Tyson went from going through one hoop and immediately going through another hoop halfway down the course.  The screams of surprise and joy from our family were deafening.  He ended up winning three hoops ahead of the closest competitor.**

Because we have to be fair, if your number is rolled-- you choose whatever you want to play.  If someone else plays a game that you don't like/want to play-- too bad.  So when Keilie suggested that we play Hide and Go Seek, we couldn't say no.  Only rules: No hiding in the garage or outside.

Humblebrag: We played 6 rounds of this game before we all agreed that we'd exhausted all hiding places.  Guess who won the most rounds, meaning they were the last to be found?!  Me!!  Here is a picture of my most proud win (sorry for the horrible lighting).
 I pulled the bookshelf away from the front window just a touch, and then used my yoga poses to pretzel myself in this space before Brennon came in from the backyard (straight line of sight from the back door) after counting to 45.  I had to hurry because moving it was kind of hard with it being full of books.
I'm going to make light of something that isn't very funny right now, but if I thought that Covid was taking breath away, it was nothing to me trying to breathe behind this bookshelf.  I didn't want each breath to be heard nor nudge the bookshelf itself, not to mention how my lungs were wrung from being bent and curved and shoved into such a small space.  My arms and legs were burning and quivering by the time they called me the winner, sweat falling from my head from exertion, heat, and breath in such a small space.  I have never been more proud of my limber body than I was at that moment as my family gasped in surprise as I unfolded myself and peeked over the top.  Our kids will never forget that their parents (can you imagine Randy hiding under Tyson's bed?! He totally did!) played Hide and Go Seek with them.  I'll say it again: quarantine for us has been the most fun bonding time ever.

CURRENT TOTALS:
Randy: 19,  Keilie & Brennon: 16,  Tyson: 14,  Shelby:11,  Stephanie:8

No comments:

Post a Comment