Randy sold his Amazon business to a family that is going to use it for homeschool Business 101. This meant that our garage would once again be filled with normal garage items. Because we've had prowlers in our neighborhood for the past few years (we'll hear about it from our HOA every once in a while, not every single night), Randy commented that he'd like to have all three cars parked in the garage. With the current items-to-storage capacity, that was just not an option. I put an idea to Randy, who agreed we could and should do something similar. "Let's start right now!" So Tuesday right before Lowe's closed (Home Depot had closed due to a gas leak in the area), Randy and I went to grab a few items to begin.
I find it funny when Randy asks me my opinion on building things. We have a saying in our marriage that works well for us: "That's your department." I don't ask him for schooling and medical appointments for the kids, laundry, dishes, or cleaning opinions, because that's my department. I ask him about decorating opinions, but only after I've found two or more that I'm willing to do that he can choose between. When it comes to finances/business, cars, lawn care, building, and general house upkeep, that's his department. There are a few things we do together, but we mainly keep to our own departments for the most part. It works for us.
For this project, like most we've done since the pandemic began, I don't have much thought beyond being his ever-eager helper. I didn't really have much to do in the way of designing these cabinets, mostly just agreeing with what he thought best at the moment. We had a general idea, but this mostly came together during the actual building process. However, I do want to remember that I wanted cabinet doors that were flat and easy to prime and paint, thus cheaper, but Randy wanted the ones that would look better (which would also mean more meticulous work when it comes time to paint them), not really caring that we paid a bit extra since the entirety of this project would cost less than two garage cabinets that wouldn't give us full-wall storage.
This was one of those things that happened to work out that makes it seem as if we had it planned from the very beginning. This cart was once a medical cart but has been his workbench for many years now. Trying to reduce the space needed for everything, and wanting to keep all of his tools in one area, I wondered if it could possibly fit inside the cabinets. We measured and realized that the cart fit perfectly, taking away a part of the organizing that I was most worried about: drawers for all of the small stuff.
Randy let me organize the drawers. It was fun taking everything out and organizing each drawer from top to bottom in order of the importance of what we use most often. I love knowing that everything is in its place. Randy has so many tools (I love the ones that read Darwin Dirks!), it's nice knowing that they'll all have a place and they'll all be together in one area of the garage, behind cabinet doors.
Saturday night:
We have the cabinet doors ordered. Not wanting to purchase any paint, we decided to use the excess main color we used for 2701: Chelsea Gray. We had plans to use some of the shelving wood from another place in our garage but decided against it after Home Depot had already closed, so we'll finish these tomorrow. This has been a massive undertaking these last four and a half days, but it's going to be amazing to have everything hidden behind closed doors, with very little left anywhere else in the garage and on the ground. I seriously wish we could hide bikes and mowers behind doors. Well, I guess that would be a shed, but we don't want to pay for the stucco to have it match our house, per HOA rules...
I can't wait to have an After of this project!
No comments:
Post a Comment