The Randy & Stephanie Dirks Family Est~ 2000
~If you think our hands are full, you should see our hearts!~

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Hero

It seems that I have been reflecting a lot recently on my mothering style.  After coming home from Dallas (more on that later!) Shelby asked me why we didn't do fun stuff like they'd done with Randy.  I realized that I focus a little too much on cleaning games and not enough on outdoor games.  They played outside almost the entire time.  Tyson has the tanned face to prove it.  I feel like I fall short in so many areas.  We pray together as a family each night before bed, but have not tackled the habit of morning prayer.  We are really good at always having Monday FHE (I truly feel that this is my favorite night of the week.  I know my kids feel that way as well.) but we seriously need to make family scripture study more of a priority.  I make sure to help the kids do their homework, but don't make a habit of spending one-on-one time with each child each day.  I just feel like I'm always behind in something.  Always lacking in some area.  And don't even get me started on laundry...  So, after months of reflection on my shortcomings as a mom, Keilie's school assignment could not have come at a better time, or been more appreciated till now.

My Hero.
By Keilie Dirks
 
My hero is my mom because she is a stay at home mom.  She looks just like me.  She cleans up after 5 kids.  My hero is my mom because she quickly brings my homework to school when I forget it.  She lets me do whatever I want to do when it's my birthday.  She helps me with my homework.  THAT is what my mom is.
 
Tears sprang to my eyes while reading this.  So many of the things that I value in my life, she values as well.  I always wanted to be a mom.  I wanted to stay home.  Randy made that a priority as well, so I am lucky enough to get to.  Even though I don't like it all the time- like when they make a mess with food in the morning or maliciously ruin things- I do enjoy cleaning up after my 5 kids, making a clean, organized, and welcoming safe haven for them to come home to.  I do like that I can drop what I'm doing to take my kids things.  I don't have a job, or a boss, that I have to ask to make sure I'm there for my kids.  I want them to feel like they are my first priority.  They are not a burden to me!  That is why it's hard to consider going back to work after Tyson goes to 1st grade, what if they need me during the day?  It's things like this sweet assignment that erase all of the doubts/fears/inadequacies in my overactive mind.  I must be doing something right. 
Cause if that little girl thinks of me as her hero, how bad can I be?

2 comments:

  1. To be completely honest, you're my hero too! You radiate the love of Christ, you are so good with your kids and you are you. I agree with Keilie!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny that we're kind of the opposite: we're pretty good at morning prayers and scripture study every night but I can't get it together and do FHE regularly for the life of me! :)

    That's such a sweet thing that Keilie wrote. I love it when they see that being a stay-at-home mom has value and is important! And you are an awesome mom. I'm always thinking that I want to be more like you!

    ReplyDelete