Fast-forward to yesterday- Orientation. We heard that over 67% of the Kindergarteners live in PM placement neighborhoods. The Principal was saying that nothing was set in stone and that if anyone would like to make a change, they needed to fill out of form there. I was happy with AM and his teacher, so I just went to his class, signed up for a bunch of volunteer stuff, listened to Mrs. L's schpeel and talked with the other mom in our neighborhood, Emily. I was so happy with our arrangement! As soon as I got in the car, I called Jamie. It was my impression that they were actually having a hard time filling the AM slots, so I told her to call and try to get into AM. She did and was told to just come to the PM Orientation and fill out a form then. She later told me that the Principal was offering people a cup of coffee if they would change to AM. Jamie said that only 5 people filled out a form, I was sure she was going to get in to AM. How cool would that be? We would be able to help each other carpool, have the kids in at the same time, be able to have play dates with only our littlies. It was going to be awesome.
Fast-forward to 7:00PM last night- The unexpected phone call. As the Principal began Thanking those that had come to Orientations, that had willing changed from PM to AM I wondered why he was calling me. I just figured that maybe they made one big recording and sent it out to all of the Kindergarteners. Nope...for some reason I was moved to a PM class. I was shocked. And then I was ticked! I instantly called Jamie to see if she had heard from the school. Yep...she was moved to the AM session. What.The.Heck? Why would they offer a cup of coffee, practically begging on their knees for PM to switch to AM and then switch someone that was PERFECTLY HAPPY in AM to PM? I tried to call...nothing. I wrote and email to Brennon's teacher...
Mrs. L,
My name is Stephanie Dirks. My son, Brennon, was placed in your AM Kindergarten class this last Thursday. We attended your orientation this morning as well. It was my impression that with 67% of the kids living in PM boundaries, they were having a hard time filling spots in the AM sessions. I even heard that Mr. Mancinelli was offering people in PM sessions a cup of coffee if they would change to AM. I had a friend that was placed in PM to begin with (even though our neighborhood is an AM placement) that willingly changed from PM to AM to be with us and one other friend in the neighborhood in the AM session. I was HAPPY in the AM class. However, I just got a call saying that Brennon was moved to the PM class. Why? I didn't fill out a sheet today saying I wanted a change at all. We live in AM boundaries, they were offering incentives to change from PM to AM, so why do I have to change? It worked out to our advantage to be AM, we wanted AM, we got AM and then got a call last minute that we were changed. Is there an explanation for this? I will go wherever I need to, I know that this has been a hard few days for you, but I am kind of bothered that this decision was made without my choice. If I would have been given PM to begin with, I would have actually filled out a paper to change to AM (even though I don't care for that cup of coffee, lol.) As it is, I don't really want to change to PM unless there is a good explanation. Could you let me know why this has been made? He was looking forward to being in his best friend, Connor E's class! Thank you so much!! Again, I will change to PM if it really is needed, I don't want to be a bother, I just want to know why this has been pushed on us at this last minute without a reason.
Steph
Her response was...
Hi, Steph!
I am so sorry this has been such a difficult start for you and Brennon. Your frustration is understandable, and we appreciate the flexibility you have already shown concerning many changes.
Placement this year has been complicated and I am sorry to say that due to many factors, there were additional changes made by our administration that were necessary. You will need to talk with our principal, Mr. Mancinelli, or Mary Greene, our counselor. Our assistant administrator, Michelle Ladow, may also be able to give you more answers on Tuesday, when we return. I do trust that significant time and thought were given to making these decisions while considering factors such as work schedules, child care, transportation, balancing classes, and more. I hope that you will be able to get the answers you seek and am sorry I cannot provide more information.
Let me know how things go. Have a good weekend, and I will see you Tuesday!
Karen =)
I had originally wanted PM! It would give Tyson time in the morning to play with a sibling, then we'd have lunch, take Brennon to school and come back for naptime. With this, there would be a lot less time for Tyson to miss his best friends. But after seeing the ease of the AM schedule and having my two friends in AM, I know it will just be so much easier to be put back into AM. I don't like confrontation, I don't like to be a bother, so it will be hard for me to go on Tuesday and ask for him to be changed back. I just want an explanation! Why has this happened? Why did I get changed when I am in an AM boundary, when I had AM, when they were begging to change people to AM?! WHY?????
My other question...why did they wait so long to get this organized? I find out on Friday at 7:00PM that on Tuesday Brennon will not get on the bus first thing in the morning with the girls, he will be moved to after lunch. Maybe they should have done this process two weeks ago to help them get things ready earlier. That way they don't have an irate mom that plans to show up at 7:30AM to fight to get her child changed!! One that will be so ticked, so worried, so emotional that she might just bust up bawling the second she gets there. Maybe I should just let it be! We'll see what this weekend brings, what decision I'll make. No matter what, I just want an explanation! Why do emotions run so high when children are involved?
Seriously! That is ridiculous! I can't believe that!
ReplyDelete