The Randy & Stephanie Dirks Family Est~ 2000
~If you think our hands are full, you should see our hearts!~

Saturday, August 8, 2015

Tomorrow's goodbye

Russ has been up North, working all week.  Ashlee left yesterday, Tahoe expertly packed by yours truly, leaving her girls with me to more easily move into their home.  Things didn't work out as well as they would have like, being able to move in tonight at 6:00 instead of the Thursday that was given as a definite possibility just days before, but they are super excited to start a new chapter in their lives as Washingtonians.

However, I'm not quite ready to let them go.  They have been in my home since June 30.  Even after all of this time, there has been minimal arguing.  If they become out of sorts with one of their cousins, they just go find another one to play with.  Our tiny home has been filled with games, laughter, water fights, baking, swimming, movies and love.  I will miss them terribly.

As I was putting the girls to bed, tucking them in for the last night under my roof, tears welled in my eyes.  I have been SpOiLeD.  I'm so glad that our parting will be temporary.  Just four hours door-to-door.  Glee!!

I was telling the girls that they would soon be able to start making new friends in their ward and at their schools, starting in just a few weeks, and that I have seen their friendship-making skills first- hand.  Daphnee got a little choked up: "It's going to be so hard to say goodbye.  I just met Evelyn and Cassidy!  They became my best friends just a few days ago, and now I have to say goodbye."  Even she feels the love of our best friends. 

Tomorrow's goodbye won't hurt as much as it used to- saying goodbye to them when they headed back to Texas- but maybe it will be a little harder.  Because with only four hours, it almost seems too close not to see them each week.

In the words and voice inflections of Jim Carrey, from Dumb and Dumber, "I hate goodbyes!"

No comments:

Post a Comment