The Randy & Stephanie Dirks Family Est~ 2000
~If you think our hands are full, you should see our hearts!~

Monday, April 4, 2016

Agency

I have loved everything about having Mira home.  Everything but her scent.  She stinks right now!  We have had her outside, running and playing ever since she has been home.  She has been such a joy to have.  Each kids whines and complains if they haven't had alone time with her, most times saying they haven't had any time at all.  She has five little Masters and play mates.

Today, Caden and I went to Petco to grab some Shampoo and Conditioner that I had googled was the best for Golden Retrievers.  We then scoped out the Dog Wash that is around the corner from our home.  Deciding that I would try doing it at home, since we have a seriously nice shower head that retracts, I got all of the supplies ready and prepared myself mentally to wash a dog.  Only thing missing was a dog that wanted to take a bath.  We had heard that she was very tolerant of bath time.  I guess they got their facts wrong, it was probably another dog in their Service Training that is tolerant.  So we packed up and headed over to the Dog Wash, since it had a leash-type thing in the basin.  Again, I prepared myself to be a wet, sweaty mess by the end, but I was determined to have a clean smelling dog.  Oh the silly jokes I tell myself.

She walked into that Dog Wash like I was taking her to her death.  I pulled out the big guns in that tiny, wet-dog smelling sauna-room.  There is a treat that Brigadoon recommended, one that costs a pretty penny, but that they said she would absolutely go crazy for, should we chose to gift her with it.  Um...they must have gotten their facts wrong- it must have been another dog that loves those expensive, gifting treats.  She pulled back on her leash, unwilling to even put a paw on the ramp that leads up to the basin with the leash-type thingy that would have held her fast while I quickly washed her down.  I did, in fact, come home a sweaty mess... with a dog that still wreaks.  She must have smelled my fear.  Mira is not tolerant of baths!

I imagine Free Agency is a lot like my Dog Wash Dilemma.  Sometimes a situation may feel a little scary and unknown, no matter that a loving Master has brought you to it.  Sometimes it may seem like something that we do no want to do.  Sometimes, no matter the desirable reward, we are just stubborn and short sighted.  Sometimes the Master comes to realize that He won't force you to do something, no matter how much He would like it to happen.

Sometimes our choices just stink.

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself with that one.  I left myself wide open for that gem.)

3 comments:

  1. We have had several Goldens, they are such a joy! But a word of advice: Goldens can be very sensitive to soy, wheat and corn in their diet. It makes them smell to high Heaven! And it (sadly) shortens their lifespan. The least expensive brand we found was Lambaderm Rice & Lamb.
    http://smile.amazon.com/Natural-Life-Lamdrm-Adlt-17-5LB/dp/B00J1NS6Q2?ie=UTF8&keywords=lambaderm%20dog%20food&qid=1459809159&ref_=sr_1_1&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-1
    We got it a Walmart for about $25/17.5# bag. Also read ingredients in any treats. I usually bake the 'cookies' myself. Email me at RNBOchild@aol.com if you want a recipe. Enjoy your new family member! Lotsa hugs to all - Teresa Bowen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rats, the Amazon link didn't work. I guess you'll have to look it up the 'hard' way! ;)

      Delete
  2. That is an excellent essay with a good message. I'm enjoying your blog very much. My best wishes to you, Randy and all your family

    ReplyDelete