Yesterday, I noticed that the odometer on our Yukon was quickly approaching a pretty cool mileage. I clearly remember where I was when our Nissan Sentra turned over 111,111- I was in the last parking space in the North West parking lot of the Brigham City Walmart. I was sad that I didn't have a camera to take a picture. What did we do back in the day to document our every moment and meal?!
While driving home from across town, I realized that I would get home 9 miles before it turned over to the number I was watching for. I told myself that I would watch it later as we drove Brennon to a birthday party, and went on with the rest of our day.
Later, as Randy and I came home from our date in our Charger, the memory came back that I had forgotten to watch. I know it is completely dumb, but I was sad that I may have missed it turning over. As I was telling Randy of my lame desire, he looked at me in all seriousness and said, "Let's check it when we get home!"
So we did. I breathed a sigh of relief (again, I know I am lame, but I can't help it) when I saw that we were two miles away. With an eagerness that dispelled my own fear of being ridiculed, Randy said, "Grab the keys. We'll drive around the Loop ten times." So we did.
And as we both watched it turn over, I was once again reminded of the fortunate life I live to be married to a man that embraces the craziness that others would think is ridiculous, and enjoys the simple pleasure along with me.
And, unlike last time, I was fortunate enough to have my camera.
I love watching the mileage climb and climb. It gives me a weird sense of pride knowing we are running this beloved vehicle into the ground. I will be truly sad when it is past the point of no return. And when that day comes, I'll capture the mileage on my camera while I cry on the shoulder of the man of my dreams.

No comments:
Post a Comment