The Randy & Stephanie Dirks Family Est~ 2000
~If you think our hands are full, you should see our hearts!~

Thursday, July 6, 2017

Moon

It will come as no surprise that we took another child to the Express Care for an ear infection.  This time, it was our Tyson.
He'd been complaining of his ear for a few days.  He described it one time almost like he'd hit his ear a few hours before, so I thought it must just be sore.  The next day he made it sound like it was sunburned, and since we'd gone boating the two days prior, I just passed it off.  He hit it while boating and got a little too much sun-- it could happen.  By the third day, he was explaining it more like an infection.  After having him do a few things that we normally do to "diagnose" an ear infection before we pay the co-pay, I was doubting if that was what it really was.  Then inspiration struck-- I had him plug his nose and try to blow air out of it.  As soon as he did, he screamed bloody murder.  I knew it was an infection.  Co-pay, here we come.

While in there, he was singing and happy.  He'd counted down through dinner till his appointment time, feeling relief knowing he'd get medicine to help him soon.  It's funny, cause they asked if he had a fever and watched him as he sang and looked normal, totally thinking that we were wasting our time and co-pay.  So many times, this has happened, if not all.  My kids are happy, singing kids that don't have a fever-- look in their ears, and boom, double ear infection.  The doctors are always surprised.  Same result here-- inner and outer ear infection.  Sinus/allergies, plus boating.  Awesome!

While the doctor was typing notes and getting our prescription electronically sent off, she asked Tyson if he had plans for summer.  Without a single thought, and with his absolute serious face, "Yep.  I'm flying to the moon."  This made her pause.  It made us all pause.  Randy looked at me, "I guess you're taking him, cause this is the first I've heard of it."

Tyson: "No, she's not.  I can fly myself.  I am Superman."  And then he struck the Superman pose and flashed his signature silly smile.  Honestly, if I didn't know any better, I'd say he rehearsed this interaction!  SO ADORABLE!!!  Guess I better get him a pair of black glasses, to keep up his hidden identity.  Oh, and wash his cape.

And then came another Signature Tyson:

Doctor:  "Is he allergic to anything?"
Tyson:  "Yes.  I'm allergic to cuteness."  And then he literally did a {cough, cough, smile}.

I'm fairly certain he became her most favorite patient of all time right then.

No comments:

Post a Comment