The Randy & Stephanie Dirks Family Est~ 2000
~If you think our hands are full, you should see our hearts!~

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Privilege

Today was a GOOD day.  From the moment Caden woke, I knew he was feeling much better.  He was walking more upright, out of his bed more, off of the couch more, eating everything in sight, and joking with the kids.  At one point, he was even playful with Mira, having her chase him around and scaring her with his quick turnabouts.  It was a great day.  He said his pain feels a whole heck of a lot less, which I know must be that steroid that Dr. Jones prescribed.  He told us it would be a fast reaction, so we knew it wouldn't take a week, but two days feels amazing, a pleasant surprise.  I'll take whatever we can get.

One of the "side effects" of him feeling better is that he's doing more for himself.  Instead of him asking for me to bring him something to eat, he's the one looking through the fridge and pantry.  It felt almost weird not doing so much for him today.  I love that he can be independent, do more of his regular activities, but I also love serving my loved ones when they need me.  It reminded me of an exert from an inspirational book I just read:  I Sit all Amazed: The Extraordinary Power of a Mother's Love by Steve Mikita.  If you are looking for a quick, GOOD read, this is the book for you.

"No one should ever underestimate the profound power of a mother's love.  Not ever.  In her presence:

I felt loved.
I felt appreciated.
I felt nurtured.
I felt adored.
I felt safe.
I felt secure.

She set both the standard and the rhythm of my life.  It was she who taught me to believe there is a purpose in trials.  She helped me to interpret the meaning of the good times and the bad.  Surely, there would be both.  Life was not compromised of only victories and triumphs.  We would suffer setback and losses.  We would laugh together and cry together.  We would grieve and celebrate.  My mother made up for that which I lacked.

She did it all, and without a single complaint.  She did it gladly and cheerfully.  I was never made to feel that I was a burden.  Rather, I was her son, and she viewed the service she gave to me as a gift and a privilege."

We don't share the same story, her and I, but I feel like I can relate to her on a deep, bonding level.  Motherhood is work.  Motherhood is stress.  Motherhood is tiring.  But, it is a gift and a privilege for which I will be eternally grateful.  I will gladly and cheerfully serve them all the days of my life.  Motherhood is magnificent.

2 comments: