The Randy & Stephanie Dirks Family Est~ 2000
~If you think our hands are full, you should see our hearts!~

Friday, July 14, 2017

Wonder

One of my favorite summers in memory was the summer that I read Summer of the Monkeys to my kids.  We read together daily, eventually getting to the point where the kids had me take the book wherever we went, reading in the wait-times of whatever we were doing.  I'd read books to my kids before, but there was something in that book that made it stand out from other books I've read to my kids: sorrow.  The books I tend to read to my kids are fun- loving, funny books where all is alright throughout the book and ending.  The plot has twists and turns, but never anything that brings true feelings of emotion that my kids could possibly relate to.  My favorites of the many, many we have read together were the Junie B. Jones series-- I laughed so hard at those books!  But that summer, I read one that was a fun adventure, but that had sorrow and real-life morals in the story that got my kids thinking.  We cried together that summer, grateful for our family and love, feeling the connecting bond that shared experiences bring.  The feeling of that summer is etched in my memories with reverence.

Because so much of our summer has been spent at home this year, I've had time to read many different books.  We all have, actually.  I think I have been nudged and lead to find the ones I have-- I have read some GREAT reads recently.  One of which is Wonder by R. J. Palacio.  I blazed through it in one day, soaking it all in, reveling in the feelings and emotions that it brought me.  Feelings that aren't tainted by cancer in any way.  While Randy, Caden, and Keilie were playing a quick x-box game between older and younger kids' bedtimes, I was finishing up my book, crying with 100% joy at the end.  I knew right then and there that I'd found another memorable summer book, something that I hope will overshadow the summer emotions that we all expected to have after "the news."

The book is split into four parts, with the end of the first part being the most heart-wrenching of all parts.  We finished the first part today.  As I finished, we sat there together in our cozy family room, thinking.  And I witnessed the most beautiful thing: my kids imagined themselves in similar settings and experienced the emotion of empathy.  We had a discussion about what we'd read, talking over one another about ways that they could be more kind to others, reach out more, and develop attributes of being more compassionate and kind.  My heart filled with such love for these human beings that have been entrusted to me.  Our family room felt so small at that moment.  Not because of the walls, but because of the love that filled all available space.

We have three parts left, with the last one bringing cheers and tears for the amazing story that makes you ponder and look both inward and outward-- Inward to see how you can be a better person, and outward for those that need you.  I can't wait to finish it together, and then see the movie together in November.  I love that we are word-deep in another Read-a-thon Summer.  We are making a great summer!  

1 comment:

  1. Payton has been reading it! I read in a day as well. Such a powerful message and book. ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete