Saturday, August 12, 2017
The Boy in the Bed Goes on a Date
Well, it's happened, the event we have all been waiting for: Caden Randy Dirks, 16, went on a date. Jennifer waited until she got the green light from me to ask him. Rebecca, Jennifer's mom, checked in one or two times during radiation, to see how Caden was coming along. Once I knew that Caden could participate in the activity, I said it was alright to start the final planning. August 4th, Jennifer came to ask Caden on a date.
She didn't want to miss us, since she was asking him in person, so she asked if she could set up an appointment for us to be home for her to drop something off. Since our days were getting just a bit more adventurous out of the house, I told her that she should tell me a time she could come and that I would make sure we were home. She sent me a text as she was on her way, so I knew that when the knock came, Caden should answer the door.
We were just sitting down to dinner when she arrived. Not wanting the kids to interfere, I made sure to threaten them with enough of The Tone, yet the right amount of quiet severity that they stayed in their seats and listened without a single sound. I think we all may have held our breaths to better hear the exchange.
I love that both moms were excited to capture this moment. Rebecca got pictures of Jennifer at the door, I got pictures of Caden with his cake. Can we take a moment of silence for the beautiful cake, I ask you. Caden got the first bite, but he did share with us. And let me just say-- YUMMO!!!!! In case it wasn't obvious enough-- He Said YES!!
Jennifer picked Caden up on Saturday afternoon. Randy didn't want me to embarrass them, so he told me that I shouldn't take pictures. We were putting down the last of the rock to finish up some landscaping projects (more on that soon) when she arrived. I was massively relieved to see Jennifer's dad, Doug, had come to get pictures. My phone was inside, and not wanting to delay them and make Caden even more nervous, I didn't make them wait while I ran in to get it, but you better believe I asked Doug to send them to me!
I can tell that Doug didn't want to make them super embarrassed either, because he didn't make them stop in front of the car, but he did get her cute, excited face as they were ready to leave. We reminded Caden to open her driver's door, watched him walk around to his side, and then watched them drive away. My heart soared as I thought, "My son is going on his first date!!!"
Rebecca told me we could be as involved or separated as we wanted to be. Randy and I both agreed that we would stay back to let him have this without us. So much of his life is lived with us watching him like a hawk, taking a million and a half pictures of him simply sleeping sometimes, that we wanted him to feel normal doing a normal teenage thing. But it doesn't mean I didn't think about him every single second while he was gone. It was amazing getting the pictures they sent!
*Hopefully the only time my son tries to put on pantyhose!*
(Caden on Jacob Kreutz, Ariana Jones, McKenzie Ostrowsky, Devin Smith, Kesley Powell, Nathan Haggard, Jennifer Elsberry, Julia Johnson on unknown, Megan Kraus on Zachary Graves)
Jennifer brought him home around 7:45pm to get ready for a church dance that night. Since it was in Eltopia, WA, 30 minutes away, Doug and Rebecca drove them to and from. When he walked in the door close to Midnight, I had to smile-- my son went on his first date and stayed out until Midnight! He's since brainstormed a few idea for dates that he initiates. All I can say is: I was born to help my kids plan dates! This is a FUN aspect of the teenage years!!!
Today while walking around Hobby Lobby, Caden saw some stickers packaged for Junior Year. One of the stickers said PROM, to which he replied that he probably wouldn't go to Prom. I told him that he better go to Homecoming, that he should not deny a cute girl the opportunity to go and dance with him. He quickly said, "Well, if you ask the girl, I'll go. Wait, what? No, that's not what I meant." But I quickly said, "DONE!" You better believe I'm going to start researching cute ways to ask a girl to Homecoming! I'll prepare the ask, he'll execute the rest. I just hope he feels well-- My Son May Go to Homecoming!!!!! Stay Tuned!
I just have to tell you that I LOVE reading your blog. I have followed you since conference. You guys are absolutely AMAZING
ReplyDeleteI look at these pictures and realize he isn't a little kid anymore, he is a teenager! Yet, I still see Younger, Caden! He is so handsome.
ReplyDelete