The Randy & Stephanie Dirks Family Est~ 2000
~If you think our hands are full, you should see our hearts!~

Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Special Boy

A conversation with Caden's favorite, as told to me by Ashlee:

"Aria talks from the time she wakes to the time she goes to bed.  Often, when on a long drive, she'll be talking one second, asleep the next, and wake talking, as if she hadn't just taken a two-hour nap.  Aria just loves to talk and talk.

While in the car the other day, just leaving the car wash, Aria stopped all conversation quite abruptly and said, 'I miss Caden.  Mom, do you miss Caden, too?'  Taken aback and brought to emotion, Ashlee said, 'Yes, Aria, I miss Caden very much.'  And in the sweet voice that Caden would move the sun, moon, and stars to listen to and obey, Aria replied, 'Caden was such a special boy.'  And went on talking about anything and everything that came into her mind, while I cried as we drove home."

She's right, Caden was a very special boy.  Especially when a 3-year-old child still talks about him after more than four months without seeing his face, being near him to sit on his lap or hold his hand, and bossing him around with whatever she wanted to do.  Candy Land for the fifth straight hour, each game played with different rules so you can win?  You bet!  I thought you'd never ask.  Another episode of Sofia the First?  My favorite!











Or my personal favorite-- "Caden, let's play 'Melissa and Joe.'"  "OK?!?!  I'll be Joe."  "No, you're Melissa."  And play, they did.

My sister died when I was five years old.  I do not remember much, not her, not my parents being gone as much as I know they needed to be to take care of her in the hospital, nor of how it felt to have her die and be gone from our lives.  Aria, being three, will probably not remember Caden, except in pictures.  But I will always cherish the memory of the one relationship where Caden gave everything he had to the girl that stole his heart.

3 comments: