I cried myself out, not caring that I was "loud" (it was refreshing not to muffle my cries in a blanket so that little ones don't hear all of the emotion in another room), giving myself permission to cry as long as I needed. I talked and verbally said how it felt, how much I missed and love him, and just laid there as long as I needed. It wasn't the cold seeping through my massive blanket and thermals that prompted me to leave-- I truly was done crying. It was time to move on with my day.
I came home to play games with the family. We played a few rounds of Bang!: The Dice Game (our current family favorite), and then pulled out Mexican Train Dominoes. I think playing games as a family is a bit like going to church with children between 12 months to 5 years old. It's not as easy as you'd like sometimes, you wonder why you even bother because of the frustrated emotions it ignites, but it is good to take the time to instill the habits while they're young and just continue for years to come, so you soldier on. Once we were thoroughly annoyed with each other, I got to work cleaning up Christmas and completing Randy's Christmas present: cleaning the garage.
Every item in the garage was touched, moved- if needed- for better organization, put back in their "home" and cleaned to perfection. Randy and I don't do gifts for each other on Christmas day-- It is our way to justify buying large items when we want it through the year. 2014 it was a kitchen remodel, 2016 it was a powder room remodel, 2017 it was family-room couches in October. But... I do like to give the gift of my time. I have done coupon books for massages for a few years. This year it was three hours in one day cleaning the garage.
2018 Resolution: Get rid of hideous wall color!
What started as a difficult day ended as a feel-good, productive day sprinkled with family fun. It feels so good to have things so open, clean, and organized in every space of our home. Today doesn't feel so heavy and gut-wrenching emotional. I am not so naive to think that I won't struggle because of one therapeutic day, please, but I do plan to give myself conscious permission to cry myself out when needed-- and then get back to the life I choose to make.

I love you. I love that you and Randy give Christmas gifts the same way, Taylor and I, do. The garage and sitting room both look wonderful.
ReplyDelete