We made it to the Major Exchange with enough time to go to the bathroom and get mentally prepared. Not only were we physically exhausted from running and lack of sleep, but we all also had some major hills for much of our individual runs.
We had to wear masks indoors, but we were ALL grateful for the use of flushing toilets!Ashlee finished her LAST RUN!! My Mister is off!It was chilly waiting for my run. Ashlee snuggled me while we waited. Also, I find it ironic that she needs to keep the devil warm...
Gearing up for my last run. 2.5 miles, with some major hills. I was most nervous about this one.
Our last exchange. Seeing as I only have enough mental capacity to get my legs going, I never had a good send-off or come-in. I hope to be better next time!It should come as no surprise to anyone that as soon as I finished, I cried. But the coolest thing ever happened, just like the night before.When Caden got his Eagle award, we used Gentri's Dare as one of his songs. That song has always held special meaning for me as I considered Caden and all he went through and accomplished. So when it came on, I again whispered, "Caden, finish this race with me. Let's go across this last finish-line together!" But as I listened to the words, they meant something to me too. I will now hear the song and share its meaning with my boy.
"I see the path staring me down. I take a deep breath, feet firm on the ground. My heart's racing fast, beating in time, counting down. I scream at the voice inside of my head that whispers my dreams are gone and dead. But the harder they push, the stronger I fight for what's ahead.
I've charted my course to answer the call. I'll fight till I win, proud of the cost of my battle scars. I'll never cave in, won't question or pause. I'll climb to the ledge, jump off the edge, and rewrite the odds. And dare to dream.
I push through the pain and claim what I earn. Ready to take the lessons I learn and pass them along, taking my turn to make my mark.
I've charted my course to answer the call. I'll fight till I win, proud of the cost of my battle scars. I'll never cave in, won't question or pause. I'll climb to the ledge, jump off the edge, and rewrite the odds. And dare to dream."
I knew the paths I was going to run, knew it was going to be hard. I had trained and worked and stressed and worried about this run for two years. I have never been a runner, never wanted to be a runner, never thought I could do something like this. I had to get over the fact that I am the slowest of the six in Van 1. My mind was not kind to me for a very long time about that fact. But I pushed through, I screamed at that voice that told me I shouldn't want, couldn't do it, wouldn't succeed. I rewrote the negative odds I'd given myself, as well as the odds that I wouldn't pass anyone. And at the end of each run, I literally made my mark on the side of that Van in pride. I dared to dream, and I DID!!!
We crossed the finish line as a team at 5:00pm when the guy in the middle back finished his run.Our LAST Major Exchange. Van 1 coming in for the last time, Van 2 starting for their last time.
11 of those kills are mine. 3 from the first run, 7 from the second run, and 1 from my last run. But I think my last one is my most proud kill. A girl had passed me coming downhill at a fast pace. But when it came time for us to tackle my steepest hill, I not only caught up to her, but I passed her! I was dang proud!
11 of those kills are mine. 3 from the first run, 7 from the second run, and 1 from my last run. But I think my last one is my most proud kill. A girl had passed me coming downhill at a fast pace. But when it came time for us to tackle my steepest hill, I not only caught up to her, but I passed her! I was dang proud!
After lunch at Jersey Mike's, we drove to the finish line to wait for Van 2 to finish their runs. Once again, they were running in the heat of the day. Brutal heat, as we were still on the tail-end of the heatwave that slammed the Northwest. Because of this, we waited for about 5 hours, or so.
Ben and Jenny know how to pack and relax. Russ and Ashlee shared stuff with us, thank goodness. We've learned what we need and do not need for next time.Yes, we were physically, mentally, and (me) emotionally exhausted, but WE. DID. IT!!
I think we'll do it again next year. I want to compete against myself, to beat my times this year. And then I think we'll be done. Because, oh my gosh, that's insane! 12 people of all running backgrounds and ability ran 200ish miles in 16-hours-- NUTS!!! I can't wait to do it again!

No comments:
Post a Comment