The Randy & Stephanie Dirks Family Est~ 2000
~If you think our hands are full, you should see our hearts!~

Friday, February 17, 2023

Speech, Speech!

 During school on Tuesday, Tyson told me he was thinking of going for ASB Senator.  Each Homeroom class elects one to represent them.  Since I hadn't purchased an ASB for him, he asked if I could go on and do it right then.  Because I was having trouble with it (technology is not my friend at times), I asked him if I could just send him with a check to pay for it the next morning.

When he got home, I could tell that he really wanted to get it done that same day, so we jumped in the car and drove back to his school to purchase it.  As we were driving, he told me more about his excitement for the chance to run.  Turns out, that was the last day to apply, so he barely scraped in.  When I asked him how he even knew about it, since he obviously hadn't heard about it before, he let me know that his teacher encouraged him to go for it.  I love her!

He came home to write his 1-2 minute speech.  As we were discussing things, he stopped.  "It is so hard to brag about myself like this!  I don't want to seem conceited."  It felt amazing explaining to him that this was the time to show people who he was, make promises you know you can keep, and convince them through words that you are right for their vote.  I didn't say it, but I hoped he already knew-- He really is THE BEST to lead.

    Hi!  As you all know, I am running for a spot in the ASB Senate to represent this class.  I am going to give you three reasons for you to decide if I would be best suited to represent this class.

1) I always have a positive attitude and a whole lot of energy which makes me the best candidate to represent Mrs. Jacobs because these are qualities we share.

2) I am clear-headed, clever, and respectful.  Even in serious conversations and discussions, I am one that can lighten the mood with funny remarks but still be respectful.

3) I am courageous, determined, and driven.  A few years ago, my Dad took my family boating on the Snake River.  We stopped near an anchor point for barges, and my oldest sister dared all of us to climb the two-story ladder and jump off into the river.  I didn't know what I was getting into at that time, and without seeing exactly how high this climb will be, I promise you that, as I did then, I will make this climb and take that jump.  Will you be with me?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

And just like that, Tyson won!

Texts and comments: "Mom, I was so nervous I could barely breathe.  My breaths were coming in so shallow!  But I felt like I didn't read with the paper right in my face because I've spoken in church.  It was so cool because one of the kids that was also running told me he voted for me because my speech was better than his.  It was so cool."

No comments:

Post a Comment