The Randy & Stephanie Dirks Family Est~ 2000
~If you think our hands are full, you should see our hearts!~

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Henry Ford Museum

New World Systems Company Party
Henry Ford Museum
January 19, 2013
 They rented out the museum just for us.  Cocktails and appetizers were served from 6:30-7:00.  We then were seated for a magnificent dinner for (seriously tasty) Chicken Breast, Fillet Mignon (too pink for my taste.  I like mine practically burned,) potatoes, and asparagus.  The dessert bar was open to as much as you'd like of Lady Fingers cake (which is what I had,) Ice Cream Sundaes (Randy's fave,) and a Soda Fountain with every kind of drink you could want.  They also had an open bar.  We got water:)



 This car looked as if it came straight off the winner's circle.  There was still confetti stuck to it.
 Randy needed this pic for his dad.  Bill Elliot is his favorite. 
 This prototype could hold our whole family.  Maybe not comfortably, but would fit us just the same.  I can just imagine the person sitting backward in the middle kicking those sitting forward in the backseat.  I'd never buy this car!
 I had to take a picture next to the Reagan Car.  That man holds a special place in my heart.  He gave my mom and dad the money they needed to save their little girl- even if for a short time.  I found out the week before that the funds needed for Keilie to have the liver transplant came from him on January 16, 1986.  She went into a coma on the 17th, they found a liver donor for her on the 18th.  She was life-flighted to Omaha where the liver arrived just after midnight on the 19th.  She was a "4" on a scale where "5" was dead.  It was pretty special for me to stand next to his car on the day 27 years after my little sister's life was saved because of him.  She was able to be with us for 9 more months.  President Reagan is one of my hero's.

 It was pretty scary standing next to this.  I can't imagine the horror of seeing this in real life when seeing it on a mannequin was so scary.  My life was in no danger, but I still felt the terror.
 Henry Ford paid $500,000 for the restoration of the bus where Rosa Park made a statement.  She was no longer going to cave to the white people.  I was able to sit in her exact seat.  I can't imagine that era.  I'm so glad I didn't live in a time of segregation.

 Randy wanted a picture to show how empty the place was.  We truly had the place to ourselves.  It was wonderful!
 For Caden:)
 For Darwin.  Growing up on a farm, these tools were a big part of his life.  How grateful we are for tools that make life just a little easier.
 Thomas Edison's signature in cement.  We were unable to go to his laboratory, brought to the museum and restored.  It was closed until the summer season.  When asked if the lab was how it was when he created the light bulb, he said, "No.  It's too clean."  It would have been neat to see the lab.
 Car Seats.  Clearly things have changed over the years.
 Don't ask me how they got these trains into the museum.  I really couldn't see how.  Look how HUGE they are!!
 Probably the cutest conductor ever!
 Snow plow, anyone?
 One of the first McDonald's signs.  Next to that is one of the first Howard Johnson's signs.
 Chitti-Chitti Bang, Bang.
Notice the small oil vials on the side.  Randy loved this.  Can you imagine needing to stop to grease your car all the time?  Yeah, me neither.
 
On the flight home talking to the man in the next seat, I found out that his Grandfather was the caller for the square dances that Henry Ford had.  He loved to dance!  He also told me that during a time where money was scarce, but Henry Ford had some, he'd go to antique shops and ask how much the owner thought his store was worth.  He'd then write a check on the spot, fill a moving truck he had with him, and take it to the basement of this museum.  There is more stored in that basement.  More that we will probably never see.  In this case, I'm glad Henry Ford was a hoarder.  It was the most fun I've had at a museum in a long time.  I just wish my husband would let me read more about what we were looking at.  Randy just wanted to browse, I wanted to study.  After all, what's the use of going without kids if you don't get to enjoy the activity?  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment