The Randy & Stephanie Dirks Family Est~ 2000
~If you think our hands are full, you should see our hearts!~

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Father's Day 2014

I have had some of the best examples of what it is to be a wonderful father. There are five men in my life that exemplify fatherhood to it's fullest. 

Grandpa Fuller
Grandpa Fuller married my Grandma just two days before I was born. I have many happy memories about this amazing man. While. I have many wonderful memories, this example actually was told by my dad at Grandpa Fuller's funeral two years ago. During the courtship years of their relationship, my dad remembered Grandpa always saying how beautiful Grandma was. He thought this was something that Grandpa said to win approval from the now-grown youngest son. However, after waking from a particularly long unconscience period just days before his passing, Grandpa focused on Grandma and said, "Hello, Beauty." Grandpa Fuller lived his life to love my Grandma. Oh how I miss that amazing man!!

Grandpa Kimber
Just like Grandpa Fuller, I have many memories of my Grandpa loving my Grandma. This memory is from the year I worked at Zale's The Diamond Store, before I met Randy. I had many men that came to buy something for their sweethearts, but none that was as special. My Grandpa had said he was planning a surprise, so when he came into the store, I kind of had an idea what he had planned. However, I was not prepared for the emotions that were waiting. Grandpa spent about 30 minutes looking at many different pieces of jewelry, looking for the perfect thing. He kept telling me that Grandma wasn't much for jewelry, but he couldn't resist giving her something that sparkled. He finally decided on some diamond earrings. He got the size that would "compliment her perfect ears," and as he was paying for his purchase, choked up telling me how excited he was to give his gift to his "best friend." Tears stung my eyes as I hugged him that day. They do often, to be honest. He lost his sweetheart three years ago, and to this day tears up just thinking of her. Their 50-year romance is an example I plan to follow. 

Darwin Dirks
I am the luckiest girl in the world to love my new dad as much as I do. He is such an amazing in-law. This memory happened while we were living with them. We'd gone to the mall with them and ended up in Kay Jewlers. Darwin had Jackie try on the Past, Present, and Future diamond ring of her choice. She found the one that she liked best, but that was as far as it went. A few days later, Darwin went back to get the exact ring. On the way home, MasterCard called to make sure the purchase was not fraudulent. However, it was not Darwin they called. It was Jackie. My heart burned with sadness- his surprise had been foiled. However, when he found out- after he'd presented his gift to Jackie- he didn't seem to care. He had eyes only for his sweetheart. He watched her face as she admired the beautiful ring on her finger. I have seen many more moments of him simply admiring his bride. In six short years, they'll make it to their 50-year anniversary. Their love story is one I get to witness close up, and take notes for my own happily-ever-after. 

Wayne Burrell
My whole life has been shaped by a man that adores his wife. My dad has always supported my mom in all of her endeavors. The first time I was able to see my mom cross the finish-line of one of her many half-marathons, it was my dad's reaction that was so fun to see, and her perseverance that was so inspirational. While waiting close to the end, my dad seemed to look at his watch every minute. He'd been to a few of her finish-lines, so he knew approximately what time she'd be coming. As the time drew near, he was bursting with anticipation. We all drew as close as we could to watch her come around the bend. With camera poised, I heard my dad's excited proud-husband voice, "There she is!" I found my mom cruising to her end, and quickly looked back to my dad, in excitement. There he was, camera clicking away, proud of his bride for beating her time. We all drew close and started to scream for the one that we loved. Our wife/ mother/ grandmother was racing to beat her time with those she loved cheering her on. But it was my dad that beamed brightest in our circle. It was written on his handsome face the love that he has for my amazing mother. That is the love that I hoped to find for myself. 

Randy Dirks
I have been loved like a queen since February 16, 2000 when Randy first said, "I love you!" Our daughters have an amazing example of how a man should treat a woman. Our sons have a perfect example of how a man treats his bride. I have had more memories in the last 14 years than can be documented in 1400 books. Some that make me laugh, cry, swoon, and frankly, roll my eyes. But in all, I have never wondered whether everything he does is to make me happier. So much of his energy goes into making my life easier, so this memory makes me laugh because nothing he could have done would have helped, but man, did he try. And looked quite manic doing it. 

It was Brennon's birth birthday. We had been bumped on the induction list from morning to afternoon, so he put down the ultimatum that I had 11 hours to push him out. He was dead set on Leap Day, after all. We got into the hospital around 12:30, got all hooked up by about 1:15, and  started IV, pitocin, and epidural by about 2:00. However, it soon became glaringly clear that the epidural was not kicking in. Like, at.all!! I was frantic with pain as Randy ran around to all of the nurses, asking why it wasn't working yet. Brennon was pretty much flying out of me, I was beside myself with pain (actually scaring myself, literally, with my scream) while my sweet husband pressed my epidural button with an intensity that would cause smoke to rise if we were cartoons. And let me just say, it was pretty darn funny. Even through the most pain I have felt in my whole entire life, I remember looking at his face and thinking, "I love him so much!" Because through it all, he was doing everything in his power to get me relief, to bring me release, and to get me the fastest medical care. I'm not sure the nurses appreciated his efforts, but I loved him even more for trying so hard. 

My world is made better by the men that surround me. The Father's in my life set a high bench-mark for the world. And one day, when my own daughters are mothers of their own, I hope they feel the same. Because they have the best examples, ever. How lucky I am to have their love. And see what it means to be the girl of their dreams. 

No comments:

Post a Comment